Travel Help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonBlayz

Jun 13, 2007
Help...! I need advice.

I am looking to take a week off and head out to the DR for a solo trip. I was looking at Juan Dolio area or the Cabarete area because I would prefer not to have to rent a car - I'm from NY so I am pretty used to cabs if need be. I would like to have all available options, meaning - I would like to party if I want to, stroll thru and soak up some culture if I want to, or sit out by the beach or pool and smoke cigars all day...if I want to. But no matter where it is I would like for there to be some in the vicinity.

I was looking to rent a condo for the week and hire someone to cook, but no matter what I do I want it to be authentic dominican cuisine. I also gave thought to the all inclusive, but I know they tend to give you grief if you decide to have guests.

I'm not trying to break the bank on the trip because I will be back for another week in August w my team and I have every intiention on bringing the bank with me then.

Anybody have any ideas?

Feb 7, 2007
Why do you post in several sections the same stuff? Most of us read all sections of DR1 message board, or go though the "new posts feature" so posting several times the same stuff in various sections does not help you, does not make YOU any good and you MAY annoy DR1 posters.

Travel section moderator pls consolidate into one.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Can't speak for Juan Dolio, but Cabarete could fit the bill. Note you'd do best to fly in/out of Puerto Plata.

Check out Hotel Cabarete Palm Beach Condos and Studios
All condos are beachfront with ocean view. Studios(cheaper) are just behind them and have partial ocean view. Rates are toward bottom of Studio & Condo pages.

Cabs - Available
Party - Available
Beach/Pool /Smoke cigars all day - Available

Stroll thru and soak up some Dominican culture - you'll have to head out of town, perhaps to Callejon (edge of Cabarete), take a taxi to Los Charamicos in Sosua, head to the mountains or to Sabaneta to the east. All of these can be reached within 15 minutes by taxi. Easy to arrange a driver for a few hours if you want someone to stay with you or give you a guided tour. Ask in the office, they can arrange an english speaking driver if desired.

Dominican cooking - Nelly in the office can arrange for a Dominican cook to come in as often as you like. Just ask her for prices & if you want the cook to do the shopping for ingredients, say so. They have a lady they use that does a very good job. Note: you'll need a condo for this as the studios have stoves, but no oven.

ps: i have no ownership interest in CPBC, have just enjoyed my stays there over the years and it fits your criteria

Last edited:

JonBlayz

Jun 13, 2007
since there were different sections I figured I needed to post in each - this is my first time being on the board and i did not know there where rules and instructions on how to post (or not post). I also didnt know that posting in that manner would make me 'no good and annoy people'. thanks for pointing that out rubio

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Ocean Dream is very nice. You can't go wrong with that choice.
Both it and Palm Beach Condos are on Cabarete Bay.

Prices are about the same.
Ocean Dream has probably 100+ units when taking into account studios and apartments. Palm Beach Condos has 20 units total.

Ocean Dream wins hands down in terms of being newer & more luxurious.
Palm Beach Condos wins if you want ocean front/ocean view condos & a shorter walk to the bars & restaurants. 1 minute vs about 10 minute walk on the beach.

Good rental sight for Ocean Dream if you haven't run across it already is Ocean Dream - Luxury condos for rent in the center of Cabarete, Dominican Republic

Also, you might end up on your own looking for a cook to come in to Ocean Dream. Not sure if they can arrange that for you. Send an e-mail and ask.

Just re-read your initial post & saw you're looking for guest friendly. Palm Beach doesn't promote themselves as guest friendly, but if you're discrete about it you should have no problem with the guards - though I think they would stop you should your guest looks like trouble. In theory, Ocean Dream is more strict about access to their grounds. I can't advise on how easy it is to bring someone to your room there.

Also - when you refer to partying, neither place is going to be happy if you're playing loud music and disturbing other clients late at night. Save the partying for the bars and discos.

Last edited:

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
"I also didnt know that posting in that manner would make me 'no good and annoy people'."
It doesn't.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Cleaned up and merged.

Please restrict answers in this thread to ones relative to the North Coast, there is also a thread in the South Coast forum for answers relative to that area.

Gregg
Mod.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Check out what Rocky has to offer. While I do not think he has facilities for cooking in the rooms, the dining area is right there and there are no rules regarding eating that I know of...

Anyway check him out.

Also, Check out Condos Dominicanos in Sos?a.. you can PM Eddy about them.

I think you'll find something really nice.

If you check prices, I think flying to STI (Santiago) is cheaper than POP, even with the transfers. (And you can use taxis and buses to reduce this cost to a minimum)

You haven't annoyed anyone so far....

HB

JonBlayz

Jun 13, 2007
Again... thank you all for the great advice.

I have no intentions on throwing dorm room style parties in my rental - I will save that for when we rent that 8BR Villa in August. I just need to detox a little bit from the heat coming down around me. I know a few people on the island and did not want to have issues when they came to thru to hang out, nor did I want a problem if I met somebody and wanted them to come 'visit'.

I just want a unit that is so ideal, I can fall outta bed into the pool, trip over the pool furniture and end up on the beach and everybody on the street can laugh at me while its going down. I am going to check into what CFA and HillBilly suggested and look at the Palm Beach and Condos Dominicanos and see what I can get into.

Thanks FireGuy for cleaning that up for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.