onward ticket

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I did a search because I am interested in buying a one way ticket to the DR. Seems like some people could do this and some people could not. I will be flying American and flyng out of Boston, and I will have a letter stating I am employed through the school year. Because the savings are significant, this is my first choice.

If I understand correctly the issue comes in Boston (point of departure) where they will ask me for a return ticket. Correct?

Anyone have luck with this method (letter) who is not a DR resident?

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
I did a search because I am interested in buying a one way ticket to the DR. Seems like some people could do this and some people could not. I will be flying American and flyng out of Boston, and I will have a letter stating I am employed through the school year. Because the savings are significant, this is my first choice.

If I understand correctly the issue comes in Boston (point of departure) where they will ask me for a return ticket. Correct?

Anyone have luck with this method (letter) who is not a DR resident?

Usually when you buy a Round trip ticket, the price better. Why not just book your return date for and ESTIMATED Month/Day when you THINK you may return to the states. That way, you get the discount, you also do not have the airlines questioning you and you know that you have a ticket waiting for you when you return.

If you do have a unused return ticket with AA, you can always change the date on it as long as you pay a $50 change fee and the cost of any additional rate. (normally this means that you will pay about $75 - $100) when ready to come back.

good luck

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
Visitor Must Hold:
- Return Or Onward Ticket (one-way Ticket Allowed If Born In
Dominican Rep. Or If Being Foreign Minor, But Travelling
With Parents Who Are Nationals Of Dominican Rep.); And

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I don't anticipate a problem in the DR; just in Boston (read CC's tale of woe) and that is why I am looking for someone who has left on a one-way successfully and how to get around buying that RT ticket. That's all.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I don't think so. You really should buy the R/t and live with it...

HB, who loves you......

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Is there a huge difference between a one way and a return?

I have usually found that two one way tickets are a couple bucks cheaper than buying the round trip ticket, at least travelling thru Miami.

If A/A gives them a problem, they could opt for a one way return that is fully refundable as the return.

But, what ever you do, do not make a round trip ticket with the return as a refundable ticket. A/A treats any ticket that has a non-refundable portion as the WHOLE TICKET being non-refundable. Had that argument with them once before.

Another catch-22 with A/A, they only let you book so far in ADVANCE. That?s how I got into the non-refundable argument with them. My return date was beyond what they would let me book, so I did the Refundable leg for the return in order not to pay a penalty by changing it latter when it was within their specifications of how far in advance I could book my return.

Don SantiagoDR

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I have done it both ways many times and have never been asked to present my return ticket.

The best strategy is to pay extra for an open ended-refundable return ticket and then cancel it for a refund as soon as you arrive in DR.

Buy a cheaper ticket when you have your firm return date.

added later: well, I see someone already made that clear above. waste of a post, sorry.

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Timing is part of the issue, I can't book for Maine summer 08 right now, too far ahead.

Mt ticket from Boston would be 269 one way or 560 RT.

Thanks for the contributions to this thread.

HB I love you too :)

Jan 5, 2006
Maybe you can try buying a one way ticket, and putting the return ticket on hold without actually buying it. AA allows you to place a reservation on hold for 48 hours, which can be confirmed by the check-in agent if you are questioned about the return portion of your ticket.