my us passport expired.

newyorkcityboy

Feb 2, 2007
my us passport expired i went to the us embassy paid the fee to get a new passport filled out all the legal papers handed my old expired passport and was told that i would recieve my new passport in about 15 days well all went right reicived my new passport in exactly 15 days but the problem is on my new passport says place of birth dom.rep how could the us make a dumb and stupid mistake my place of birth is n.y.usa. they had my expired passport with all the paper work that i filled ouy know what go and spend all fu@$^% DAY to corect a mistake that was not mine.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This is a perfect example of Dumb and Dumber!! The idiots at that " oh-so-great-place-in-the-states-where-they-process-these-things-to-insure-you -are-not-an-al-Queda-operative, are low wage bureaucrats, dumber than a stump....

Now you got proof of it!!! And theya re guarding the US of A.

HB

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Speaking along the lines of Hillbilly's post. How come this third world country, the DR has a better, more secure, high tech passport than the US?

The DR passport has a digitized thumb print for secure identification on it. The US does not.

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
You are wrong, the mistake is usually done at the Dominican end . Had certification done here when send to USA the personel, at American Embassy is usually a Dominican. My Uncle who is a over 70 try to get pasport for his son of a Young Dominican wife, and was made to prove by DNA that his son was his. That is the problem, Dominican can pass the test given. It does not take much brain.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What's the difference where the mistake was made? He was dealing with the US Embassy. The people that work there are trained by the Embassy, it is their responsiblilty to get it right.

If you went to the Dominican Embassy in NY and and an American employee screwed up would you blame the US?

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
my us passport expired i went to the us embassy paid the fee to get a new passport filled out all the legal papers handed my old expired passport and was told that i would recieve my new passport in about 15 days well all went right reicived my new passport in exactly 15 days but the problem is on my new passport says place of birth dom.rep how could the us make a dumb and stupid mistake my place of birth is n.y.usa. they had my expired passport with all the paper work that i filled ouy know what go and spend all fu@$^% DAY to corect a mistake that was not mine.

I think that it might be a bit premature to judge the embassy without having some idea about how the mistake happened. The fundamental issue is that the processing is done by human beings who atimes make mistakes,loose focus atimes,loose concentration atimes and once a while, things will slip through the cracks and mistakes will happen. Unless you have information that this occurs regularly or perhaps you expect a 100% accuracy rate, your case may just be between the 1-2% errors that probably occurs ( I make mistakes at work/in my daily life atimes and I think a 1-2% error rate is okay).

Doctors/hospitals have been known to make careless mistakes that have resulted in death/incapacitation. Detectives have been known to make mistakes that put innocent behind bars or to the gas chamber so this mistake really is no big deal. The major issue is that other than for informational purposes, the accuracy of the place of birth on a passport really serves little functionality. Obviously you want to correct the mistake but if it is a mistake that they are willing to correct quickly and efficiently, then all is still okay but I really am not sure what difference it would make if you left it as it is especially since the birth certificate is usually the proof of place of birth.

I read that Oprah Winfrey was actually named Orpah Winfrey but the hospital made a mistake on her birth certificate and her parents decided not to change it. Now imagine if your name is spelled wrong on your passport and compare that to your place of birth.

Sholly

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1%-2% Accuracy is okay with you for US passports? The most cherished, most wanted document in the world>/?

You do realize that you are then talking about like close to a million mistakes?

"Place of Birth?" --Lebanon-----------Passport says Lebanon, Ohio!!!

Welcome to the United States, Mr Osama!!

Sorry, I do not think such numbers are acceptable...

HB

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
1%-2% Accuracy is okay with you for US passports? The most cherished, most wanted document in the world>/?

You do realize that you are then talking about like close to a million mistakes?

"Place of Birth?" --Lebanon-----------Passport says Lebanon, Ohio!!!

Welcome to the United States, Mr Osama!!

Sorry, I do not think such numbers are acceptable...

HB

Perhaps the point I was trying to make did not come out quite clear.

Actually the 1-2% error rate is just an hypothetical figure that I used for illustration but it might be much smaller (I have no idea) but I am not sure it will run into millions with a 1-2% error rate unless close to a 100 million americans are applying for passports every single year.

The real issue is that there is so much checks and balances that can be put into a human/automated process but mistakes will still occur from time to time and since I am not aware of many complaint?s being made, I was only looking at this mistake in it?s essence and it?s implication to determine whether it is serious or not. Although we can project this mistake into other scenarios, I don?t think that I have adequate knowledge of the process at the embassy to enable me to do that. I am not sure whether place of birth has anything to do with identifying a terrorist since the background check will have been done anyway by checking the authenticity of the original documents.

There are mistakes that are intangible and can be easily fixed. There are mistakes that are costly/fatal and can never be corrected or is rather too late to correct. Some people make mistakes and are happy to correct it while some people make mistakes that can be corrected and they just refuse to correct it.

Sholly

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Sholly,

You must either be a lawyer or a politician with this response to Hillbilly, because you typed a lot but said nothing.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
So when are you going back to get them to correct their mistake? Or have you already done so?

I know that the process is long and tedious,but it was "Their" fault not yours. I hope you make them very aware of that fact as well