Sofitel Nicolas de Ovando

WBALKE

Jul 3, 2004
Good Morning Everyonem

Has anyone stayed at the Sofitel Nicolas de Ovando? If so, can you give me any details of the property. I've read that they ask for a deposit of 20,000 pessos upon check in. Is that correct? is there a particular room I should request?

Thanks in advance
WBALKE

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
I have stayed there a couple of times and I believe they took a print of our credit card but didn't charge anything to it.

The Classic room is the cheapest but I found it very small considering the money you pay so best to go for the next one up which is the Superior - unless money isn't a problem, then you can have whatever you want!! Get a room in the old part of the hotel - they have more character.

I have enjoyed both of my visits there - the service is excellent, the staff friendly and the breakfast, well, I don't think you can get better!

I'm sure people will disagree but I can only tell you what I have experienced myself.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
NO, I totally agree with you...Nikki...that is where I was staying when I met my now husband...

The place is beautiful!!! (I was very lucky to have paid only about $50 USD for my superior room, breakfast included...since my daughter used to work for Sofitel here in the US!!! ;) )

PLUS...you have the advantage of staying right smack in the middle of Zona Colonial...you can just walk ANYWHERE...have drinks at Plaza Col?n at night...go dancing, best restaurants...

Well, just my opinion...but it's the best place!!!!

Have fun!!!!

Sanation

May 21, 2007
Heaven on Earth

I was lucky enough to stay at the Sofitel Nicolas de Ovando for the last 2 weeks. It would have to be one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever stayed at (and I have lived/travelled all over the world). The service is attentive and friendly. The room I stayed in (4001) was beautifully appointed and the bed one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in. My room also had a free internet connection. Otherwise, there is free wireless in the foyer/bar area.

Everyone visiting Santo Domingo should treat themselves to at least one night in this magnificent hotel.

WBALKE

Jul 3, 2004
Thanks for the information.

Is it safe to walk that area at night? Are there any discos in walking distance?

Sanation

May 21, 2007
There are a few discos around - Nowhere is close by. There are a number of threads that details disco information. Otherwise, grab yourself a copy of Lonely Planets "Dominican Republic" book - that lists heaps of discos, restaurants and gives you info in where to go and where not to go.

It is relatively safe to walk around in Zona Colonial, but I personally would be careful as to where I walked. There are some areas that are fine (near the tourist hotels) and some that are not.

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
According to their website, they serve international food with a French flavour! I did not eat there as I prefer to go to other restaurants in the city. I have walked around at night with my husband but we are careful.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There are a few discos around - Nowhere is close by.
You almost got me there - I was about to say "You must have missed Calle Hostos, which is only about three blocks away, and is full of disco-type establishments".

:)

WBALKE

Jul 3, 2004
Good Morning,

As I send this, I am sitting poolside Sofitel Nicolas de Ovando. I want to thank everyone for their feedback. The place is wonderfull. The service has been subperb and the location could not be better. I will seed a trip report when I return to NY. But everythiing has been great, minus an incident involving a gun while I was in Boca Chica yesterday (more to follow on that). Take care.

WBLAKE

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
A gun in Boca Chica? No way! (PM me on this..glad you're not hurt)

ENJOY YOUR STAY!

The Ovando IS the upper end in accomodations in SD