Nightlife during the week in SD

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Has anyone noticed that it is difficult to find nightlife Monday through Thursday in Santo Domingo? I really only find clubs and bars to be lively on the weekends. The question is: Does anyone know of some good night spots during the week? Preferably, a place with Latin music (salsa, merengue, bachata), but any suggestions would be great. Thanks

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Has anyone noticed that it is difficult to find nightlife Monday through Thursday in Santo Domingo? I really only find clubs and bars to be lively on the weekends. The question is: Does anyone know of some good night spots during the week? Preferably, a place with Latin music (salsa, merengue, bachata), but any suggestions would be great. Thanks
Some of the 'lounge'-type places, bars like Dock, Zin, Segafreddo have people on weekdays, but clubs, places to dance? Good question..

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
I posted this in another forum, hope it helps:

Dock: In Acropolis, Churchill. Not really a club, but a nice lounge with good music and decent prices, the only place you can find people 7 days a week. Happy hour every day from 5 - 8, there is a section with a mini dancefloor, and they will bring in DJs a few nights a week, good atmosphere and service. A good place to go to start the night, afterwork, or if you just want to have a few drinks. My personal fav.

Loft - on Tiradentes and Carlos Sanchez, has open bar $500 wed, $800 sundays, sundays has a good vibe, Fridays and saturdays it's mainly techno and they will bring in International headliner DJs

Red Room: Ok I guess, techo and reagetton, somewhere between tiradentes and Lincoln, not too far from 27 de febrero - lots of kids when I went

Praia: Again off of Tiradentes, Techno and Raegetton, a little pricey

Monte Cristo: on Lincoln, Open Bar on Sundays -$500, good on tuesdays(ladies drink for free until 10pm), live music on wed or thurs, busy on fri and sat. A mix of Merengue, Salsa, Regeatton, and they might play some latin rock if it's not too busy. btw if the girls seem to paying an exagerated amount of attention to you, it's probably because they are working.

Cafe Trio: Lincoln and Tiradentes, good on tues (ladies drink free till 10pm), also busy on Fri, and Sat. Again quite a few working girls here.

Thao, or Blanc: Lincoln, Plaza Andalucia: Ladies night on wednesday, by far the most pretentious place I've been in Sto. Domingo, not cheap, but pretty people - mainly plays techno and raegetton

Retro Cafe: Across from Thao, not as pretentious, a mix of merengue, salsa, reageton and a little techno, also not as pricey as tao, and in the same plaza there is a small martini bar.

Jet Set: Indepencia, Bella vista, Live Salsa, Merengue, and possibly some of the bigger bachata acts on mondays. I also believe that they have a happy hour from 5-9, or 6-9 daily. It would be the upscale salsa, merengue, maybe bachata place

Zona Colonial:

Nowhere: Not to pricey, not too pretentious, usually there will be a mix of foreigners and locals, again mainly reagetton and techno, with a bit of merengue, Thursday is ladies night, friday and saturday busy

Atarrazana 9: Parque Espa?a, Open bar on thurs $250, busy on friday and saturday. Tends to be a younger crowd on thurs

Moon: Younger crowd, went once, was ok

Om: Techno place just around the way from nowhere, all techno and house, not too expensive.

Another worth mentioning is Cafe Cinema, in the Cinameteca by the plaza cultural on Maximo Gomez, they will have live Jazz, and Afro beats on occasion, and it is in an open air setting.

There are probably a couple places I'm forgetting, but they are probably not worth the time, i.e bottles off churchill, way overpriced and lame. haha

btw, don't waste your time with Guacara Taina, it's completely dead, went by late on a fri and on a sat, there was no one there.

Johy

Sep 15, 2003
www.worldisround.com
Uruguayo...

Nice, you really sum it up. Those are the places to go in Santo Domingo.

Another place to go if looking for Merengue/Bachata/Salsa is Platinum on Ave. Independencia.

irrrrrnal

Aug 8, 2006
I?m i the DR ow...ot all letters o this keyoard work....sorry!
Lookig for a Reggae ar or music forum here i theColoial area.
Thaks!

irrrrrnal

Aug 8, 2006
Thanks for the replies but I'm looking for a Reggae bar or venue.....lots of merengue and bachata and salsa here....thats great....we're just looking for some play to listen to some reggae.
Thanks again all!

fabekid

Jun 29, 2007
irrrrrnal. i'm jamaican and i am here every month. i have yet to find a reggae hang out spot..i just hear reggae when cars pass by. if you find one, please let me know. i will be here until tuesday.