Royal Residencial vs El Magnifico, Cabarete

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I have researched both these properties and was wondering if anyone has stayed at either of the above-mentioned places, and if so, the reasons they liked/disliked them.

Also, how do they compare location-wise if one wishes to be centrally located and within walking distance to amenities?

Any input would be greatly valued.

Thanks

PS this would be for a 2 week stay

GOLFGUY

Oct 25, 2004
El Magnifico

Hotel El Magnifico is an excellent hotel. The 2 bedroom penthouse was very comfortable for 5 and we never wanted to leave. The jacuzzi overlooking the ocean at night was perfect. The hotel is small but luxurious, and we felt like we had the place to ourselves. Ask for Gerard (former owner, now resident manager) for best rooms (I'm sure all are great). This is my favorite hotel on the island.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Thanks, that is a great recommendation!

How about accessibilty/walking distances?

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
Royal Residencial is fairly new so I dought you'll find info on it.. All I can say, is that they are both downtown Cabarete. Royal seems like a nice quiet place even if close to commotion of the street.

GOLFGUY

Oct 25, 2004
El Magnifico is at the eastern end of the beach, just past the Velero hotel and La Punta apartments. You can walk from the hotel to the center of town in 5 minutes on the beach or on the main road. Janet's supermarket is 1-2 minutes walking. Cabarete is so small you can walk from one end of town to the other end in less than 10 minutes.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Royal Res. was only completed 3 month ago. They have 1,2,and 3 Br units. We've been there and thought it was very nice. Haven't stayed at the other hotel. The location is great. Units are full furnished with kitchen. We thought the cost was very reasonable. Can't find the email address, but Tanya, the manager, was great. Hopes This helps. We were the first to stay in the condo we rented.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Thanks to all for all the prompt and positive feedback!

To complicate things, I am now looking at Ocean Dream...decision-making isnt my strong point!;)

May land up flipping a coin on this one as I like what I see and hear so far.

Frankie

Nov 28, 2006
As I replied in a previous post i spent 2 months living at the Magnifico when we first moved to the DR. I cannot recommend it highly enough, beautiful, unusual apartments and lovely grounds and pool. It is not possible to swim in the sea at the front of the property but within 5 minutes walk there is safe swimming. I don't know the other hotel you are talking about but I do know Ocean Dream as I have some friends living there and they seem very happy.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
my choice for a 2 week stay would be:
1- El Magnifico
2 - Ocean Dream
3 - Royal Residence (no comparison to 1 or 2, except a little closer to "town")

you may want to look into Velero - if they are running an off-season special....take it!

slomichael

Aug 12, 2006
I have stayed at El mag three times. It is one of the best places anywhere. The gardens and pathways are remarkable. The rooms excellent, roomy and there is very little traffic through the property.

There is a great little family restaurant (BBQ chicken) right next to Velero, Janet's market within 50 yards, and the new sports bar owned by a nice lawyer Eric - a kite surfer and champion surfer(always good to know a lawyer) adjacent to Janet's. It is about a 500 yard walk on the beach to the middle of Cabarete (LAX). Usually walk on the street at night or take a taxi for $5.00.

They have rooms, studios, one bedrooms, two bedrooms and penthouses at El Mag...wow! Plus a whole new section just opening this month.

I think Ocean Dream is probably a little farther away from the center of town...but I am not sure. Have not noticed the Royal Residential (however I was just there so I must have missed it, or did not see the sign).

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
Royal

Royal Residencia would be between Azzuro and Ocean Dream.
You're right we don't see it much from the road.

There is a great little family restaurant (BBQ chicken) right next to Velero, Janet's market within 50 yards, and the new sports bar owned by a nice lawyer Eric - a kite surfer and champion surfer(always good to know a lawyer) adjacent to Janet's.

Does this mean that Marc (Mitsu) has moved again or has he sold ??