Hotels in Santiago - Recommendations

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Hi All

I will be spending a week (or the best part of) in Santiago at the end of the month and I would like some recommendations on hotels as I am not too familiar with the area.

I will be hiring a car and so location isn't a big deal.

Don't need anything too fancy so long as it's got hot water, air con and internet access would be advantageous but not a necessity.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
daydream

May 12, 2005
Try the Aloha Sol. It's right in the heart of downtown Santiago or for budget accomodations check out the Colonial.

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
The Hotel Colonial is below ok. Its good for less than $20 you can get a room with AC/TV. However the rooms are very small, the remote controls don't work, and you may encounter roaches. Is close to a prostitute's hotel " el Lima" and after 10pm they are roaming around in the area( but they don't go pass El Colonial). If you really on a budget you can go there.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Look up the post "
best hotel in
santiago"\\

It names practically every spot here.\\

El Platino has come up in ratings lately.\\

HB

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Thanks for the replies - just had a look at the thread you mentioned and hotel Platano works out around ?180 for a week for two people....it's rated as 4*on one website - is this accurate?

I'm not on that much of a budget to be dealing with roaches :)

daydream

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
OH MY~~~You are gonna love this!! You wrote Hotel PLATANO (which is a Dominican staple very associated with ignorance, common food and such) rather than PLATINO, which is platinum--the precious metal!!!

You made a funny funny!!!

While that one person has complained of roaches, none of the dozens of people I have sent there, including college kids from Vermont, cigar buyers from Florida and executives from New York, have ever complained about this.

The price is unbeatable, service is good, location is central. What's not to like.

Regarding a 4* rating for the Platino, ehhh?? I do not know who does the rating, but it has met with approval from a wide selection of folks. Check them out when you get here.

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I don't know about 4*, but I stay at Platino exclusively when I'm in Santiago. Nice place, quiet (compared to anything downtown), reasonable, safe, nice area of town, several restaurants in walking distance, reasonable price. I usually get a "Jr. Exec." suite for a little more room.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
OH MY~~~You are gonna love this!! You wrote Hotel PLATANO (which is a Dominican staple very associated with ignorance, common food and such) rather than PLATINO, which is platinum--the precious metal!!!

You made a funny funny!!!

While that one person has complained of roaches, none of the dozens of people I have sent there, including college kids from Vermont, cigar buyers from Florida and executives from New York, have ever complained about this.

The price is unbeatable, service is good, location is central. What's not to like.

Regarding a 4* rating for the Platino, ehhh?? I do not know who does the rating, but it has met with approval from a wide selection of folks. Check them out when you get here.

HB

HAHAHAHAHA oops.....!!

Does anyone have the phone number for the Platino hotel as I can't find it online?

Many thanks
daydream

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I stayed at Aloha Sol about two and a half years ago. Small room but very well equiped with fridge full of drinks and a very good aircon, clean shower/bathroom. Location is excellent (5min walk to Monument) and breakfast wasn't too bad either.

It was reasonably priced (single around 1300 pesos per night I think), I am sure the price has changed upwards by now, like everything else in DR...

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
Aloha Sol

I have stayed at the Hotel Aloha Sol several times and was pleased each time. I stayed alone and paid approximately $52.00 per night and the room came equipped with remote controlled AC, cable and double queen sized beds. For an upgrade of about $20-$25 dollars you can get an ever better room. The rates are very good and it is centrally located on La Calle del Sol. 5minute walk to the Monumento. Banks, currency exchange, restaurants all closeby. They have a website too at Hotel Aloha Sol. I haven't stayed anywhere else but I have been satisfied there.