Juan Dolio Question

Rick I

Jul 11, 2007
A while ago we stayed at the Barcelo Capella and there was a little shopping centre on the corner, with all the new construction going on there does anyone know if it still there.

Thanks

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
By shopping center do you mean, one souvenir store, one small grocery store, one internet/phone shop, one nail place, etc.? If so, it is still there. The one directly across from the hotel?? I was just there last month but I wouldn't call it a shopping centre.

Rick I

Jul 11, 2007
I guess when you think back things seem different. I was just wondering about the small business people who tend to lose out when the surroundings around them change. I am a bigger supporter of the smaller business than developers buying the small stores for the land and turning it into more condos. As memory goes with time maybe the little quaint little stores in my mind could be something different now.

Rick

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
many of the small businesses in Juan Dolio have gone, and Plaza La Llave is for sale through Century 21. In fact if you look on the South Beach thread, it looks like it has been bought by hemingway - but not sure about that. The owners of the businesses in Plaza la Llave have been told it has been sold and are waiting for definite information.

vandee

Nov 26, 2003
I had looked into it but not living in JD full time, I didn't think I could find anyone to manage the property. Plus it required some major investment. If CH bought it, they'll probably tear it down.

Rick I

Jul 11, 2007
I just looked into it and for $549,000 U.S. it does seem pricey. With some of the resorts turning into condos I do not know if it would be a good investment. Even with the house next door which they are selling for $349,000 I do not know if the 2600 sq.mtr. lot combined, be worth the money asked if the renters could not make ends meet. As much as I would love to help to keep small business alive in J.D. I would not like to lose this amount of money.
Any comments ?

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
From my first visit to Juan Dolio in 1996 that house and the plaza have been for sale.The price range that potential buyers have quoted to me have been all over the place! Whoever owns it obviously does not need or want to really sell it.
I have seen too many businesses open and close in the plaza over all those years. They ranged from resturants, bars,cigar shop,clothing,coffee shop,bakery, tourists shops,mini markets,beauty parlors, car rentals and phone centers. Unfortunately, Juan Dolio does not have a constant stream of customers to support the small business markets year round.
I do not see much evidence of the apartments and condos recently being developed flying off the market either. At the rate they are selling them it will take another 10 years to sell them all. Even after they are sold it will not fill the town with customers because they will not be full time residents.
I do not mean to sound negative but this is how I see things based on watching how slow realty sells in the area over the last 10 years.

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
I do not see much evidence of the apartments and condos recently being developed flying off the market either. At the rate they are selling them it will take another 10 years to sell them all...
I do not mean to sound negative but this is how I see things based on watching how slow realty sells in the area over the last 10 years.

Some of the new developments are sold out already ...so if you see some apartments for sale - it is the resale ...Costa Del Sol I & II , Club Hemingway . Marbella 1 phase is 80% sold out even before to start ... None of them was for sale even 5 years ago !

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
! Whoever owns it obviously does not need or want to really sell it.

Gabriel, a canadian owned it. he died 2 years ago. it is being sold by his estate, thats why he doesn't appear to need it anymore

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Thank You Steve for the update. I was sure I could count on you to have newer information than me on real estate in JD. I was not clear in my posts. I should have written that "older" places have not been selling for 10 years.
Many of the newer developments have been advertised on billboards as "coming soon" for several years before development even started. I am glad to see that sales are progressing faster than usual for the area.

Matilda, I am sorry of Gabriel's passing. I had not heard anything about that.