Property abutting highway between Playa Dorada and Airport

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
My husband and I are considering purchasing a property that abuts the highway between Playa Dorada and the airport, more specifically, near Cangrejo. We love the property and it has great potential for both building a home or the potential to have a business because of it's location to the highway. However, we are just wondering what would happen if they were ever to widen the highway? Can the government expropriate land? We would obviously not want to build a house, only to have part of our land taken over to widen the roadway. Well I am sure they can since seem to be able to force residents to move if they want the land, i.e. the Boca Nueva residents who lived at Playa Bergantine were forced to move to Montellano (although new housing was provided).

Anyway, I just thought I would check if anyone might have some insight, suggestions, warning, etc. with respect to buying property that abuts the main highway.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Be very cautious. Yes the government can expropriate you land.
Probably better deals a little further from the beach.

Hb

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
FYI, the government can take any portion of any property, without valid cause (just cause someone (politico) likes it), much less due to hwy expansion. There have been a number of farmers/property owners who lost property with the construction of the new Las Americas (SD)-Sanchez Hwy, that yet are fighting for there money (semi-private toll road). Be careful where you buy.;)

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Thank you both for your helpful responses. I figured as much about expropriation. I guess we are just weighing the risks involved v. the cost of this piece of land, which is less than $15,000. It could prove to be quite valuable if the Playa Bergantine area becomes developed in the next 10 years and we could open a business along the highway? We likely won't be building on it for 10 years or so, but I would hate to hold onto it, only to have the government make plans to widen the highway and then we lose our land and have to look elsewhere to build.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Thank you both for your helpful responses. I figured as much about expropriation. I guess we are just weighing the risks involved v. the cost of this piece of land, which is less than $15,000. It could prove to be quite valuable if the Playa Bergantine area becomes developed in the next 10 years and we could open a business along the highway? We likely won't be building on it for 10 years or so, but I would hate to hold onto it, only to have the government make plans to widen the highway and then we lose our land and have to look elsewhere to build.

Not building on it, may prove even more dangerous because then it's not a home, just land owned by what they may call a speculator. Besides, you may have to constantly fight off people invading or not respecting your property limits.

This is not to discourage you... just some things you may want to think about.

... J-D.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Pols don't need to re-invent the wheel

If you think you have a great idea here for making some money surely there will be a dozen pols right behind you with an idea as to how they can take your property away from you.