warning! white rivers,Jarabacoa

yohan

Aug 4, 2007
last year i went to do whiteriver rafting in Jarabacoa.
wonderfull place. the site is spectacular.
BUT!!!it can be dangerous.here's why:
the raft they were using was'nt mad for white river
and there were to many unexperienced people on the boat.
i end have and other girl on top of me while my upper body was submerge!!!! i had to let go my feet from the strap
and i end in the river full of rocks!!! INTENSE!!!!!
i injured my leg and really tought i was going to die!

still it was great just make sure that your going with people that have done it before and check the raft first!
the guides were really nice.
One other thing: please respect the nature and this peacefull site as everybody that day was making a lot of noise.

Corina.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Wow!

Sounds like you did not have a good time. It's too bad because those types of trips can be lots of fun. I hope that your injuries get well soon.

:surprised

yohan

Aug 4, 2007
good time

i actually had a great time it was really cool! this place is a paradis there are small waterfalls , small ''bridges ladder'( sorry english ' snt my first language). they serve dominican food after but really not that good.
So it 's just a warning!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I don't know who the poster is referring to, but I definitely agree this is one excursion that needs professional people.

The people at Rancho Baiguate run a professional rafting operation. I think a river rafting trip can be a highlight of a visit to the DR, but I would only recommend doing so with people who have narrowed the problems with a very professional staff. Note that Baiguate runs these trips all the time, so they know the river inside and out, year round and to be the best of my knowledge they keep their equipment in very good condition. I am speaking from the experience of having done river rafting with them, and of my sons having done two years of summer camp with them where they participate in at least two rafting trips per camp.

TimH

Aug 4, 2004
www.guesthouse-jarabacoa.com
unfortunatly i don't remember the name of company

There are only two companies offering rafting. One is the mentioned "Rancho Baiguate (in "La Hoya")" and the other one is "Rancho Jarabacoa(Sector "Sabaneta")"."Rancho Jarabacoa" also work close together with the "Rancho Dos Rios (Ave. Norberto Tiburcio)".
Basically both enterprises offer the same tour with the same services.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I went rafting with Rancho Jarabacoa last month and it was one of the highlights of my trip. It was fun but I definitely saw the potential for danger. Most people had slight bumps and bruises by the time it was done. If you search youtube for Jarabacoa you will a funny video of a group rafting in the same river. As you will see the water is rough and the possibility of boats flipping over and people falling out is high.

Kiboko

Dec 26, 2006
Rancho Baiguate

I think we paid $50 p.p. for a rafting trip with Rancho Baiguate last year. This was with our own transport, rather than with a tour from a resort. It was incredible fun, but certainly not risk-free. At one point, in a tricky spot on the river, our raft was squeezing another raft against a cliff face, and instead of pushing us away, the idiot guide of the other raft decided to push our raft up and tip it over on top of us all. Only two members of our group managed to get themselves away. The rest of us were trapped under the raft and had to be hauled out of the water by people in other rafts. It all ended OK, but for those few confused moments under the raft, I really felt like it was possible that I might die. It goes without saying that our guide was furious with the guide from the other raft. Still, I would definitely recommend this as an exhilarating and memorable day out.

Feb 7, 2007
There are only two companies offering rafting. One is the mentioned "Rancho Baiguate (in "La Hoya")" and the other one is "Rancho Jarabacoa(Sector "Sabaneta")"."Rancho Jarabacoa" also work close together with the "Rancho Dos Rios (Ave. Norberto Tiburcio)".
Basically both enterprises offer the same tour with the same services.

You are mistaken, there are several Ranchos that do rafting operations. I know that form my investigation (I have tour operator) about a year back. there are about 5 ranchos that do that.

Feb 7, 2007
About how much was the trip per person?
If you go directly with the sourse (Rancho) and not tour operator it's 40 to 50 dollars per person. You must wait for the group to come in and form, though. Via tour operator it's usually 40 to 50 dollars more (from Puerto Plata) including transporation.

corina

Aug 5, 2007
If you go directly with the sourse (Rancho) and not tour operator it's 40 to 50 dollars per person. You must wait for the group to come in and form, though. Via tour operator it's usually 40 to 50 dollars more (from Puerto Plata) including transporation.

I paid about 80 4 us last year,raft, transp. and food included.
bring water.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I paid $40 for me to go rafting and they had a decent lunch afterword for me and my girlfriend. I am not sure the volume of business they do on other days but if they had a few groups per week like when I went I think the owner would be doing ok.

TimH

Aug 4, 2004
www.guesthouse-jarabacoa.com
You are mistaken, there are several Ranchos that do rafting operations. I know that form my investigation (I have tour operator) about a year back. there are about 5 ranchos that do that.

I never heard of that. What other companies offer rafting-tours in the area besides Baiguate and 2 Rios-Jarabacoa? The only other company I can think of was "Get Wet" and they vanished eight years ago.