Dominicans In London

dominican_pequena

Aug 6, 2007
Im a Dominican living in London, i would like to know are there any Dominicans in London and were are they. Iv only seen a few i would love to find more people from my country.

help me out pleasse

Love Dominican Pequena

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Look for posts by Saskia - she is married to a Dominican, lives near London and has posted a link to a website about Dominicans in the UK.

morenita inglesa

Jan 7, 2007
Well, I'm not dominican but my husband is. We live in new cross (south east) and you and any other local dominicans are welcome in our home anytime. I'll send you a pm.

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
Hi there

There is a merengue band playing this Sunday (12th August) at Hillyfields in Enfield, nr North London. We went last year and had a really nice afternoon ... not many events dedicated to Merengue! The band are called Merengada, starts around 1pm and finishes early evening. Won't be anything like the Carnival but hopefully we can all enjoy it. :cheeky:

JasonR

Nov 18, 2006
Well I am not Dominican but I have been living in DR since last year and just returned to London this week

I would be interested in meeting Dominicans here and / or going to cultural events.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Jason, why don't you join us in Enfield tomorow afternoon - there is a merengue band playing and a few Dominicans are planning on meeting up.

It's a shame you weren't around for the carnival last weekend......but tomorrow should still be nice if the sun keeps shining!

Saskia posted the link below if you are interested :)

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
Merengada are playing tomorrow at Hillyfields in Enfield (Browning Road nr Rose and Crown pub) Head for the bandstand. Nearest train station is Gordon Hill.

Anyone going ... can't guarantee you'll see us near a DR flag because my beloved threw all 3 of ours at Los Hermanos Rosario on the stage last weekend, but we'll no doubt be near the front ... and be heard easily LOL;)

TIP: if you hear a siran going off ... that will be my other half doing he's party trick LOL:cheeky:

dominican_pequena

Aug 6, 2007
We Dominicans!

I reckon b4 the summer ends we dominicans should get together in a park in London and have some fun, play baseball, have a laugh get drunk, eat food. That way everyone can meet each other if you dont already know each other and that way we can the Dominican community grow. Its something iv thought of for a while now and something i suggested so if anybodys interested let me know.

dominican_pequena

Aug 6, 2007
Thank you Saskia! I already check it out but ill keep my eye open anyway. But hopefully Something will be organised in London, Thanks again.

morenita inglesa

Jan 7, 2007
I have to agree with daydream, Js party trick is pretty good!

Seriously though, as this thread is about dominicans in London, I'm aware that there are quite a few down here but there doesn't seem to be anything going on like I see within all the other communities in London. I think the park thing is a good idea though. We definitely need to get the dominican community in London established.

dominican_pequena

Aug 6, 2007
A little get together in London will be so easy to do, Its the turn out last sunday that proves to show that the Dominican Community has just started despite the fact that people travelled from parts of england to be there, last years del pueblo didnt have that much Dominicans compared to this year. which is why I think London can be the base for the Dominican community.

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
Photos

Half or more of the Dominicans that came to the Carnival were from further afield, Coventry, Henley, Bristol, Wales to name but a few. My husband is in contact with them all, the reason there was so many that came to the carnival is because he, Memo and Daniel plugged Carnival Del Pueblo so many times and advertised the fact that Los Hermanos Rosario were playing there. It was the best starting point but I think events will be held all over the place to make it fair on people, so that they will not have to travel all the time.

I am sure there will be things in London too once again, but for instance Easter we all travelled to Wales ... photos on Dominicano en Londres

There are also photos from the gathering sunday just gone in Enfield ;)

x

dominican_pequena

Aug 6, 2007
my cousins who are Dominican came to carnabal del pueblo, and they seriously prefer to be in london then in manchester. Alot of people would love to see more Dominicans in London. the thing about Dominicans is that we will travel to wherever just to be with our people, because in London the Latin/Hispanic community is growing but there is a small minority of Dominicans here. London is the heart of everything, if london is the starting point then the community can grow.