Carrying drivers license in DR

harrypickle

Jul 17, 2007
I have read a considerable number of posts mentioning the necessity of carrying a, "copy," of your drivers license in the DR and especially near the airport or in the capital. They also mention stashing the original for safe keeping. Is this because of police confiscating licenses seeking bribes? What sort of copy should one bring? a color copy from a copier? What is this all about?

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
I usually carry me original DL and A photo copy of my passport.

I know people who do diffrent combinations with the two.

But they never carry both originals documents.

I once was pick up by police for not having my orignal DL and no passport. Directly in front of my hotel at that. I offerd to run up and get it but was told no. After trip to the station a little explaining and 1000 pesos( $30 US), I was let go.

All in all a lesson learned, have some valid ID all time just to be safe.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I keep a copy of my drivers license with me, the original is in my lawyers files. If they ask for it, I speed dial my lawyer.....

I do not carry my passport either or a copy.

And I have all my insurance and car document - copies - inside my car.

If you get a ticket they will take your license and you have to go pay the fine before you can get it back. Sometimes after you go pay the ticket you must go hunt for whoever is holding your license....

harrypickle

Jul 17, 2007
I have read posts mentioning that you should never give a DR police officer your original license. Always show them a copy because they will confiscate it. Now I am thoroughly confused :paranoid:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
At this time AMET is not supposed to confiscate driver licenses, just look at it and give you a ticket.

As this is the DR, I cannot guarantee this, but I am reasonable sure. As for a copy of your license, this is no good anymore. This I can guarantee, as my friend has his car impounded with a copy. He got it back of course, but you need a real driver's license.

Sharkyitis

Aug 2, 2007
Interesting. I must have missed the posts that talked about having copies of your drivers license with you. I knew about keeping copies of the passport. What about when you get your cedula? Do you keep copies of that with you or do you carry the original?

What is a cedula?

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i always keep my orig drivers licence with me (it is easy to replace when i get back to the states if need be) and a photocopy of my Passport (NOT so easy to replace).

I Have only been pulled over once (on el malecon). We gave them 300 pesos and went on our way. At that time i only had my licence with me but NOT my passoport (or either a photocopy of my passport).