Update for STI Airport

Jun 5, 2004
Hey people can anyone say what happened to STI and their "expansions". The jet bridges as well as the second floor were very nice but.... they talked about an extra runway (or expansion of it) as well as an expansion to the actual terminal. If i am correct, the airport was suppose to receive a flight from Europe (Madrid) by the end of the year. None of this has happened. JetBlue is expanding service in the airport (BOS) and hopefully become a hub for Air Dominicana or SOL (if any of these actually start flying) many others will follow. It would be nice if the airport was expanded so that they could provide a better service to the customers. If anyone has any further info. please keep us posted.

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
Hey....

Hey apdomini100max... I'll Try to answer a couple of ur Questions....

The

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
Hey apdomini100max... I'll Try to answer a couple of ur Questions....

The runway expansion plan is on hold for the moment. I can confirm that it is NOT a second runway, but an expansion of the current one.

The expansion of the customs area is in progress and should be finished this fall in time for christmas. There is also new duty-free shops and soon to be open more cafeterias in the second level gate area.

There is also the incorporation of Fans (Very big ones) to the frontal area of the airport for better ventilation (no A/C for the moment sorry :)

The Europe flights should be in place once the airport's runway is expanded.

The customs area was a part that was needed for better service, and now it will include a duty-free shop and bigger carrousels for baggage on top of a lot more space.

Hope this answers your questions, and as always, happy to help you out.....

Slds
STIOP

Jan 5, 2006
The runway expansion plan is on hold for the moment.
Do you know if the land was acquired for the runway expansion? I heard a while ago that the plan was to lengthen the current runway by 400 meters and that the required land had already been acquired.

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
Do you know if the land was acquired for the runway expansion? I heard a while ago that the plan was to lengthen the current runway by 400 meters and that the required land had already been acquired.
yes it has. the added length will be 400m.

the focus now is making the main terminal more comfortable, but the runway expansion is being prepared.

regards

STIOP