Be informed before you fly

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
Something I read in another thread reminded me of my last flight out of the DR.
The customs agent in the POP airport tried to confiscate a bottle of perfume I had in my carry on bag. He showed me a sign posted saying that no liquids could be brought on board the airplane.
Before my flight I checked with Aircanada and the size of my bottle was allowed on board.
I told this to the Dominican customs man, but he took my perfume and said "it's not allowed". I grabbed back the bottle and said "you are not keeping my perfume"! I told him that I was able to bring it in on this airline and I am taking it back with me.
He looked angry, but just waved me off and I went to the waiting area with my perfume in my bag!!
I'm sure he thought it would have made a nice gift for his wife or girlfriend..;)

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Yep

While I really don't want to belive that this is routinely happening in the DR, I must admit that there is much truth to it. - I know of other travelers who have said the same thing. I appears that some of the DR Customs Agents are using the rule on liquids along with the posted placards for their benefit.

During my last trip to DR, I was talking with a passanger on the airplane who told me that when he is in the airport at the customs line, he put a $20 (USD) inside of his passport and has it sticking out. Once this is spotted by a customs official, he is wisked right through the line and out of the airport on his way.

It's just too bad that ethics can be compromised, but when you make "peanuts" for pay, anything is possible.

:ermm:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
During my last trip to DR, I was talking with a passanger on the airplane who told me that when he is in the airport at the customs line, he put a $20 (USD) inside of his passport and has it sticking out. Once this is spotted by a customs official, he is wisked right through the line and out of the airport on his way.

Don't believe every "story" you hear, first of all, Aduana aka customs does not look at your passport, immigration does, secondly I tried tipping a guy in customs last trip because they DID NOT look in my bags and he refused the tip, I gave it to the luggage handler guy for not asking me!

Please stop telling stories, we have enough drama on this board in Sankie Central.

Have a nice day,

Juan

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Don't believe every "story" you hear, first of all, Aduana aka customs does not look at your passport, immigration does, secondly I tried tipping a guy in customs last trip because they DID NOT look in my bags and he refused the tip, I gave it to the luggage handler guy for not asking me!

Please stop telling stories, we have enough drama on this board in Sankie Central.

Have a nice day,

Juan

I agree with you 100%! Firstly, this could happen anywhere in the world...secondly of all, why is everyone always pointing fingers at the aduanas??? I have travelled the world and the DR specifically MANY times and I have never witnessed an event like this (not to say it doesnt happen but I wouldnt call it the NORM the way some posters like to describe it).;)

It comes down to being street smart wherever you are!

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
The OP tells a situation that has happend to her while in a DR airport. I comment about what a traveler has told me about his past experiences in a DR airport and you dont like it? - It appears that you beleive that this is fiction.

The truth is that yes, these things happen in airports all over the world and yes, they even happen in the DR. I suggested that perhaps it happens because of the low wages that Customs/Immgrations personnel receive. - Maybe that should be a topic for discussion in another section of the board.

As you stated about your recent travels that no one wanted to take your tip because you had a pretty good experience at the airport, I guess you were just a routine traveler and nothing out of the ordinary happen to you that day/trip. Perhaps this could be for a multitude of reasons, (the moon was aligned just right, the way you look, perhaps someone was looking, or just about anything), but as you tell me not to "Tell Stories" then you yourself should not just dismiss the fact that "These Things Do Happen" -

- - And if "These Things Do Happen" and especially in the DR, then that is just the way it is...... One thing for sure, No one here is trying to scare off potential visitors and travelers to the DR -

Perhaps its time to stop being the Almighty! (and you know exactly what I mean)

dr_qt

Jun 7, 2007
Please note that out of many trips to the DR, this was the first time I ever had a problem at the airport.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Obviously.........

........drloca and Tamborista don't fly in and/or out of the Puerto Plata airport much...............:paranoid:
.........there is NOT one employee in Customs or Immigration that won't hit you up and take what they can or what you'll give them if and when the opportunity arises...........and there are 100's of posts stating exactly this if you search for them.....

........I find it less flagrant at STI.............and I don't fly into SDQ....

I would challange anyone to identify ONE employee that is not "on the take" in that part of the airport..............AND I WILL FLY THROUGH THERE AND PROVE YOU WRONG.............
I fly in/out 2 to 4 times every month for the last 16 years and drloca and Tamborista must either not be looking or somehow don't have the "characteristics" that get them noticed...........

...........albeit the last 2 years there has been a NOTICABLE improvement........

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
POP BB:

I have been in/out of POP airport over 25 times and have NEVER been stopped. If you would like to see my passport stamps I would be more than happy to show them to you. If you need a laptop, monitor or iPhone, I would be more than happy to bring those through customs as well!

I did enjoy the tutti frutti colors in your post, they were most enjoyable.

tambo'

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
POP BB:

I have been in/out of POP airport over 25 times and have NEVER been stopped. If you would like to see my passport stamps I would be more than happy to show them to you. If you need a laptop, monitor or iPhone, I would be more than happy to bring those through customs as well!

I did enjoy the tutti frutti colors in your post, they were most enjoyable.

tambo'
While you're in the offering mood, the next time you're coming, Tambo, bring me some dried fruits, if you please.
Like dried blueberries, or whatever.
Can't find them around here and I luv'em.
I've been munching on "Craisins" (dried cranberries by OceanSpray) for the last few days, that Apostropheman just brought me.
They're great !

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
hrmm we can bribe Rocky with dried fruit?

I fly in and out of POP airport several times a year. I have only been stopped once on my way out probably 2 years ago where the guy checks your carry on and person with the xray machine and he stopped me and asked me if he could have my camera as a gift. I said hell no! He laughed and said it couldn't hurt to ask and sent me through.

On the way I have never been asked for money except by the baggage handlers. I have employed a bribe to get through a long line once for my tourist card and a $5 handshake will get me past the guys checking the bags before the exit. Most of them recognize me now and start to open the bag and then reach out to shake my hand. Once they have the money they reach inside zip me back up and send me on my way.

Well worth the $5 to not be hassled for taxes if I bring something in.

Once I arrived with a bunch of other planes apparently because the line for the tourist cards was quite long. There's only one booth and they aren't very fast so 300 people make for a long line. I caught a guy walking by and said buy me a tourist card for $20 and took me to the front of the line said he had to buy a VIP room person a card and handed it to me.

Definitely quite a few people you can bribe in the airport if you need to.