Entry Requirements to DR

wendy_s

Oct 26, 2005
Hello all - I'm hoping that someone can help me out...or help me help out my friend.

My friend is traveling to the DR with her husband and child this Sunday but is now unsure if she has the proper documents to enter the DR. She's talked to her travel agent and the airline but apparently they did not provide her with sufficient information. And she tried calling the DR consulates in Toronto and Ottawa but couldn't reach a live person to talk to. Here's the thing...she is a landed immigrant here in Canada and has her Canadian Permanent Resident Card. She does not hold a Canadian Passport but rather a Filipino passport. She does not have a driver's license but does have her OHIP card (new version with the picture). Do you think her PR card, her Filipino passport and her OHIP card are sufficient enough and will be accepted as documents for entry to the DR? Or does she need a Visa (Canadian or Dominican visa?) since she is still legally a citizen of the Philippines?

Thanks!

Feb 7, 2007
Yes she will need a visa.

National PHILIPPINES (PH) /Residence CANADA (CA)
Embarkation CANADA (CA)
Destination DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (DO)

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (DO)

Passport and visa required.

Minors:
for detailed information see For details, click here .

Visitor must hold:
- return or onward ticket (one-way ticket allowed if born in
Dominican Rep. or if being foreign minor, but travelling
with parents who are nationals of Dominican Rep.); and
- all documents required for next destination.

Persons born in the Dominican Rep. are considered nationals of
the Dominican Rep., regardless if having another nationality.
Passenger must hold documents required for nationals of the
Dominican Rep.
Exempt are: female passengers who have obtained another
nationality by marriage.

Non-compliance with entry regulations will result in
deportation on same aircraft and carriers will be fined USD
1,000.- for transporting passengers with improper documents.

Feb 7, 2007
The above referenced is the copy of Timatic, the system airlines use to check order of documents of passangers when checking them in.

Some articles on the web say PR from USA and Canada, regardless of nationality, do not need visa, but the Timatic says otherwise. Timatic is usually very reliable.

Your best bet is to check with the Dominican embassy in Canada.

wendy_s

Oct 26, 2005
Thanks for the response. I'll pass on the info you provided and you're right, she'll need to keep trying the Dominican embassy here in Canada.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
OK, i have a question too. I have my residency here. I flew to China to marry my wife. i have been trying for two months to get her VISA. everytime they want more documents. Now they want a letter of guarnator but, they say I cannot be her guarnator because, I am not a citizen of the D.R. is this TRUE.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
From the website of the Dominican Republic in Canada:

Embassy of the Dominican Republic in Canada

"For Permanent Residents of Canada (Landed Immigrants)

To enter the Dominican Republic, all Permanent Residents of Canada must meet hold a valid passport from their country of origin. The requirement for visas and/or tourist card will depend on the country of origin. Please verify the list of Countries of which its citizens can travel with visa, tourist cards or none."

FYI the Philippines DOES require a Tourist Visa (also from info provide on the same website).

Gregg

wendy_s

Oct 26, 2005
Thanks everyone for the replies and helpful information. My friend went to the Dominican Embassy here in Toronto and got her visa today.