Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Taina Mirabal

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

When it came to the Dominicans, Dessalines' widespread massacre and destruction was much more general. Remember that Dominicans refused to unite with Haiti, which was a blow to Dessalines ego, but Dominicans decided to unite with the French. With a population composed mostly by whites and mixed people, plus the lenient treatment the blacks were given; the fact that the Haitians were killing mostly whites and mixed people up to the very border sent chills in the Dominican population. The French that managed to flee Haiti and avoid being part of the massacre didn't help by telling the Dominicans the things they witnessed. Events such as what happened to Madame Chanlotte near Ouanaminthe, she was forced to watch her husband and children tortured to death, then she was forced to eat the raw flesh of her husband before they tore open her belly and ripped out the fetus and forced it down her throat. Is it any wonder Dominicans refused to accept Dessalines' invitation to unite with Haiti? That negative made him go into a tantrum and initiate the horrible invasion of 1805, with the pretext he wanted to fight the last French remnant in Santo Domingo but brought massacres and devastation everywhere his troops passed through. 

According to Price Mars, once Dessalines was back in Cap Haitien and he got news that the French fleet he saw off the coast of Santo Domingo (he ordered the retreat of the troops back to Haiti thinking the French were going to invade its undefended ports and cities) was not headed for Haiti,  Dessalines show tremendous pride in ordering the destruction of the Dominicans and that he boasted about it with an immense happiness. 

The Dominican women that he took as prisoners, along with many cattle; after being raped on the bank of the Esperanza River (near modern day Mao in Valverde province), once they arrived in Haiti were forced to watch their children thrown into the cattle pen. Once inside, the cattle was angered and frightened by whippings and random branding, to the point that the beasts took their anger on the children that were moled and trampled to death. Then the women became sex slaves to various Haitian generals. 

The Dominicans on Dominican soil that survived the onslaught were those that managed to runaway and hide in the mountains and forest before the Haitian army arrived to each town and passed through each campo along the way bringing death and destruction. From that small group of survivors is that a significant proportion of modern Dominicans descend from.

Now many parts of the DR is peopled with 'newer' Dominicans. Places such as much of the east, the Samana peninsula, many areas along the coast such as Puerto Plata vicinity; a large percentage of Dominicans either descend or are mixed with people that arrived from other parts of the Caribbean and the world decades after Dessalines' invasion. But in many parts of the interior, especially in the Cibao Valley, in the Cordillera Central and The Sierra, in places such as El Seibo and Sabana La Mar, in the San Juan Valley and other places; most Dominicans are direct descendants of those that survived the horror imposed by Dessalines.

This is the general history, but there are countless family stories about specific events that took place to direct ancestors. Those stories, of course, take a much more personal dimension.

Their ability (or luck) to effectively hide from Dessalines is the reason many of us are alive today. Had it been Dessalines (and Herard and Solouques) desire that prevailed, we should had never been born. Not a single Dominican or Spanish speaking person would had survived had Dessalines, Herard, and Soulouque's plan been successful. Also, the DR itself would had never been created.

Moderator Polls Forum

2. Likes Gurabo444, jenmar237, AlterEgo liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Nals, do you know what Taína's real name is.  Her nom de plume is an obvious creation. I haven't been able to find the film, just references to it and her handbills. 

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    This is the general history, but there are countless family stories about specific events that took place to direct ancestors. Those stories, of course, take a much more personal dimension.
    I grew up listening to these type of stories, especially from older folks (My great grandmother's generation), though the stories weren't about my direct ancestors being killed (Thank god Gurabo at that time was a far away campo from Santiago and it seems like my ancestors just heard the horror stories from the surviving Santiagueros). The two more frequent stories were that of a lady with the last name "Reyes" who was doing some sort of diligence in the city and ran from Santiago to Gurabo in less than 20 minutes after witnessing the atrocities committed by the Haitian troops under Henry Christophe's orders. The other one was about Haitian soldiers throwing Dominican children into the air and catching them with their Bayonets, plus one about a girl who survived by pretending to be dead inside a church. When I first read the memoirs of Pichardo y Arredondo about the massacre in which he narrates with detail these childhood stories sent chills down my spine. These last two were often told by my great grandma who never attended school and would have never read Pichardo y Arrendondo's memoirs which btw were found in hidden in Cuba not too long ago.

5. Likes mofongoloco, NALs, jenmar237, craneguy liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Replying to NALs

Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    Events such as what happened to Madame Chanlotte near Ouanaminthe, she was forced to watch her husband and children tortured to death, then she was forced to eat the raw flesh of her husband before they tore open her belly and ripped out the fetus and forced it down her throat.
    Omg! Had never heard of this account NALs....but I believe it given what I've learned about the horrific things that were done by Dessalines, Christophe, etc...

Is there any source available that discusses this event regarding Madame Chanlotte?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I am fascinated on how someone goes and digs up a thread started in 2007.....

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Bosch View Post
    Easy to understand. NY is considering removing a statue of Duarte, and with that news someone searched the archives and found a relevant discussion.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

9. Likes jenmar237, mofongoloco liked this post
    Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenmar237 View Post
    Omg! Had never heard of this account NALs....but I believe it given what I've learned about the horrific things that were done by Dessalines, Christophe, etc...

Is there any source available that discusses this event regarding Madame Chanlotte?

Moderator Polls Forum

11. Likes jenmar237 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks NALs!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenmar237 View Post
    Many thanks NALs!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Facing-Racia...UAAOSwRgJXiI0B

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

14. Likes jenmar237 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Bosch View Post

I google searched taína. As usual dr1 stuff comes up. I regret reviving it. 

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234