drowned ships in dr

kirillb

Oct 3, 2007
hey there,

i'm a fan of half-drowned ships - those partially up from the water so can be seen and maybe visited without diving. are you aware of any? maybe googl earth coordinates or directions from punta cana?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
hey there,

i'm a fan of half-drowned ships - those partially up from the water so can be seen and maybe visited without diving. are you aware of any? maybe googl earth coordinates or directions from punta cana?
Here is the GoogleEarth coordinate for the shipwreck off B?varo:

18 43'40.02"N 68 27'13.86"W

Zoom in to about 5 meters or 1.74 kilometers to see the shipwreck.

Additional info on the shipwreck off B?varo

-NALs

kirillb

Oct 3, 2007
oh, thanks ))) that site was the first i've got into after googling and already found it in GE. that looks great, i will try to explore more on the location.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yeah the Astrom is located between the bahia and the riu resorts, very close to the beaches. at the melia you will find speed boats for rent with skipper of course to go there, bring your snorkel gear and some bred and bananas for the fishies, it is a great snorkel spot, but don't go there alone without a boat with skipper, on tide changes the current is dangerously tricky, the skippers know it and tell you when and when not.
as of my knowledge i think the watersports center at the Melia resort sells excursions for snorkeling to the wreck, just ask them at your hotel's beach.
have fun
Mike

kirillb

Oct 3, 2007
yeah the Astrom is located between the bahia and the riu resorts, very close to the beaches. at the melia you will find speed boats for rent with skipper of course to go there, bring your snorkel gear and some bred and bananas for the fishies, it is a great snorkel spot, but don't go there alone without a boat with skipper, on tide changes the current is dangerously tricky, the skippers know it and tell you when and when not.
as of my knowledge i think the watersports center at the Melia resort sells excursions for snorkeling to the wreck, just ask them at your hotel's beach.
have fun
Mike

that's cool, thanks
any idea on a cost?

leonardito

Apr 16, 2006
leonardito.com
"The Wreck"

in July 2006 we decided to face "The Wreck", touch it,
look at it from the inside , find out, ... ...find out what ? ....
find out everything about it ......
The mysterious strenght in resisting so powerfull forces,
staying so long in the same spot and not giving an inch,
waiting for something to happen, before disappearing,
thus fascinating and scaring so many tourists.
" .....Quiz?s ese barco cargado de sue?os ......"
see the site :
shipwreck in bavaro,naufragio en bavaro,bahia principe bavaro,dominican republic,shipwreck,astron,dona yo
suerte

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
One in Paraiso just after San Rafael

As you wind through the mountains on rt#44 south you pass San Rafael and there is a lookout where the road forms a Y just past the lookout you bear left go to the bottom which is the back way into Paraiso..And take the very first left there is only one house there on the right just before the road ends at the beach..You can walk out to this wreck at low tide but BEWARE the ripcurrents make this a stupid thing to do at hightide..It has been there for what seems like forever because nobody can tell me anything about it like even it's name...It's a rusted out hull but a mystery as to how it got there or when..

Last edited:

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Zak
Can you see this wreck on Google Earth?

I looked all up and down the coast, but couldn't see anything...

I didn't try that but I have a home up the hill from it so I know it is there..also the coast is very rocky in that area so the wreck could be mistaken for some of those rocks as they are of the same color if viewed from a satellite photo....did you find the split in the road? If so then it is the first road that heads toward the beach depending on what direction you are viewing it from...The wreck lies 50 feet from the beach...

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
I don't know if this is the same as wreck as the previous posts were talking about but there is a wreck sticking out of the water directly off of the Club Med beach. We were there in February 2007 and have a few photos of it. It is also clearly marked by few peoples posts in Google Earth. If you have the Google Earth Communitly layers activated, you can find the Club Med easily and the wreck off of it. Some beautiful pictures of the wreck in the posts.