Price increases ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
I haven't been in the DR since July but have heard the prices of beer and hotels has gone up considerably since then.

In July in the higher priced bars I was paying 100RD for a small president for example.

I am wondering what the current prices are now.

If possible provide bar name and current price for a small president/large presidente/cuba libre.

Thanks

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
Which area(s) are you going to? For example, I was in Cabarete and Sosua about 1 1/2 weeks ago and I was paying 100 pesos for a presidente (small). I also spent time in Santiago. I can tell you this from my 7 trips to DR in the past two years the prices have gone up considerably on everything including liquor, cigarettes, and food. Most notably in the past 6 months to a year.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Please.

Better quality tourists pay more.

Locals and businesses love it, and invest in improvements in infrastructure and services.

The improvements attract even better tourists, and so on.

That's why DR is "suddenly" on the radar screen for so many NA travelers.

Beads, seems like you're just a bit mad because your, erm, "hobby" is more expensive than it used to be.:tired:

To your larger point: interesting how there seems to be an increase of "DR ain't what it used to be" complaints from folks, many of whom are just a bunch of uber-budget tourists finding it increasingly difficult to pay exploitative prices to be in "paradise."

DR is still hands down one of the best bargains in the caribbean. Don't believe me? Try to explore your hobby in Grand Cayman or Antigua, and let me know how it goes.

Amazing how folks who live incredibly mediocre lives back home expect to come someplace, spend almost nothing, be obnoxious, yet still be treated like a rock star.... Dominicans (and anyone else in their right mind) will avoid those folks like the plague, and instead focus on the more generous, easy going types. This ain't rocket science.

Beads, you want to make the most of your trip? See the rest of the country (there's more to it than classico's), and try to identify with something other than your sex-tourist moniker. If you are more well traveled, well then act like it. Food is still dirt cheap in the non-touristy areas; you should know this.

Don't get me wrong, I like the nightlife too, but I don't define myself by it.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Please.

Locals and businesses love it, and invest in improvements in infrastructure and services.

Beads, seems like you're just a bit mad because your, erm, "hobby" is more expensive than it used to be.:tired:

To your larger point: interesting how there seems to be an increase of "DR ain't what it used to be" complaints from folks, many of whom are just a bunch of uber-budget tourists finding it increasingly difficult to pay exploitative prices to be in "paradise."

DR is still hands down one of the best bargains in the caribbean. Don't believe me? Try to explore your hobby in Grand Cayman or Antigua, and let me know how it goes.

Amazing how folks who live incredibly mediocre lives back home expect to come someplace, spend almost nothing, be obnoxious, yet still be treated like a rock star.... Dominicans (and anyone else in their right mind) will avoid those folks like the plague, and instead focus on the more generous, easy going types. This ain't rocket science.

Beads, you want to make the most of your trip? See the rest of the country (there's more to it than classico's), and try to identify with something other than your sex-tourist moniker. If you are more well traveled, well then act like it. Food is still dirt cheap in the non-touristy areas; you should know this.

I have to agree with you! At the risk of sounding like a snob, which I am not, I think it is not a bad idea to keep a certain element at bay! A recent experience I witnessed in the DR was proof of just that. (yes, I realize it can happen anywhere). The reality is, you get what you pay for.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Please.

I don't see all these better quality tourists flocking into the country just because you raise the prices. You have to offer them something of value for their money.

You are correct in that the reason I choose to visit the DR is because I get more for my money than a lot of other places. Once its the same cost or more expensive as other vacation options why would I continue to return?

hrmm I thought I asked a simple question of prices and locations not for a sermon from the reverend half wit.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Beer prices have actually dropped since July. RD35-40 for a pequenia and RD60-65 for a grande as opposed to RD50 and 75 respectively before.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
I have to agree with you! At the risk of sounding like a snob, which I am not, I think it is not a bad idea to keep a certain element at bay! A recent experience I witnessed in the DR was proof of just that. (yes, I realize it can happen anywhere). The reality is, you get what you pay for.

This is untrue especially in the DR. Prices of everything are negotiable. You might pay 2 or 3 times as much as someone else for anything in the DR.

Look at LaRoca they have 2 menus with different prices!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This is untrue especially in the DR. Prices of everything are negotiable. You might pay 2 or 3 times as much as someone else for anything in the DR.

If you can't pass yourself off as a Dominican or a local in "the know" in the tourist areas, look for Dominicans to try to charge you whatever they think they can get, and be obstinate about it.

If you're Spanish isn't good, the next best bet is to have a Dominican friend do the negotiations for you.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
If you can't pass yourself off as a Dominican or a local in "the know" in the tourist areas, look for Dominicans to try to charge you whatever they think they can get, and be obstinate about it.

If you're Spanish isn't good, the next best bet is to have a Dominican friend do the negotiations for you.

Chip while this is definitely good advise I was simply looking at what were the current prices of beer and possibly other typical things as compared to 2 months ago to see what if any increase in prices have taken place.Nothing more.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
hrmm I thought I asked a simple question of prices and locations not for a sermon from the reverend half wit.

Bishop Monger,

True, but the problem is your "reputation" precedes you. It's clear from your posting history that you're not terribly bothered by having to pay an extra .50 for a beer, but that your concern is more focused on your getting priced out of your more expensive proclivities.

I mean, having fun with the chicas is one thing, and I certainly enjoy my time in country, but you have issues, man....:tired:

All I'm saying is be honest. As you've never displayed much interest in anything else offered by the DR, one may reasonably conclude that your real query, poorly coded, was "has anyone else noticed that the chicas are charging more than they used to? What's a poor monger to do?"

Careful, because a half-wit has more to it than a beady-eyed twit, to wit.:glasses:

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Question

I know many laws are not enforced, but.... Is there any DR law that forbids a business from charging different prices to people of different nationalities? I ass-u-me there are laws like that in the USA and the DR has many laws based on USA laws.

I remember when I was at the monument in Santiago, they charged me more for entry than my Dominican Friends. I tried to be funny and said (with a smile) in English that it was unconstitutional. The lady smiled at me and said in perfect English, "I'm sorry you feel that way."

I think it would help to avoid short pants and tourist type shirts, clothing, cameras etc, All of these things raise the price of goods and services.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
4 x

Many items are now four times as much as they were two years ago (if calculated in US$).
Of course this also has to do with the exchange rate, but nevertheless is a fact and affects all those very severely who rely on a foreign exchange income.

Janin

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Ok,

A legit answer to what has become a legit question.

First, the dollar has declined substantially in the last several months. While the peso rate remains consistent, I imagine vendors are making their own internal adjustments to reflect the new valuations.

Second, even with a strong dollar, folks from NA like to spend money on vacation, even if they're staying at an AI. We are given to consumerism in the extreme sense.

And if I thought I could get an American to happily pay 5 bucks for my .50 Presidente, then I'd learn English and put on some NFL games as well.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I know many laws are not enforced, but.... Is there any DR law that forbids a business from charging different prices to people of different nationalities? I ass-u-me there are laws like that in the USA and the DR has many laws based on USA laws.

The "Member's" menu @ La Roca is given to anybody that asks for it!
It is intended to be for Residents, and has nothing to do with nationality, or color. Please do not open a can of worms that does not need opening.

tambo'

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I know many laws are not enforced, but.... Is there any DR law that forbids a business from charging different prices to people of different nationalities? I ass-u-me there are laws like that in the USA and the DR has many laws based on USA laws..

Ever stayed at a hotel in your hometown and gotten the "locals" rate? Or how about went to the movies and paid separate prices for yourself, your kid and your retired aunt? How about lamenting the cost of out-of-state tuition for your daughter's preferred university?

I'm oversimlifying for the benefit of beads, but as a rule discriminatory pricing is per se illegal in the US on the basis of race. Just about anything else is strictly caveat emptor.

I remember when I was at the monument in Santiago, they charged me more for entry than my Dominican Friends. I tried to be funny and said (with a smile) in English that it was unconstitutional. The lady smiled at me and said in perfect English, "I'm sorry you feel that way.".

Remember, your visiting a country where two of the top sources of income are 1) tourism and 2) remittances. For example, in Las Vegas, there is no income tax and property taxes are next to nothing. Virtually everything related to infrastructure is not paid for by the residents. The reason: tourists pay for the state's upkeep through a series of taxes and surcharges. It's the same in the Bahamas, Jamaica, and in the touristy sectors of Mexico.

I think it would help to avoid short pants and tourist type shirts, clothing, cameras etc, All of these things raise the price of goods and services.

Unlikely to change the pricing. I grew up in a tourist town, and could see tourists coming from a mile away, and these were fellow Americans. Even if you were to dress "like a Dominican," your mannerisms, and of course appearance easily distinguish you from a Dominican. Don't try to blend in; it's just a wasted exercise. Instead, try to just be a respectful, interested, mature-minded visitor.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Bishop Monger,

True, but the problem is your "reputation" precedes you. It's clear from your posting history that you're not terribly bothered by having to pay an extra .50 for a beer, but that your concern is more focused on your getting priced out of your more expensive proclivities.

I mean, having fun with the chicas is one thing, and I certainly enjoy my time in country, but you have issues, man....:tired:

All I'm saying is be honest. As you've never displayed much interest in anything else offered by the DR, one may reasonably conclude that your real query, poorly coded, was "has anyone else noticed that the chicas are charging more than they used to? What's a poor monger to do?"

Careful, because a half-wit has more to it than a beady-eyed twit, to wit.:glasses:

reverend half wit,

my question was simple and didnt warrant your answer. I didnt ask for an opinion i asked for locations and prices. if you have some view or opinion try starting your own thread. your statements didnt answer my question and serve no place in this thread. What interests I display are also my own business. I asked for simple facts and you couldnt give any so you just chose to ramble on hoping someone would listen to you.

go outside , make some friends, find someone to talk to. I'm not all that interested in what you have to say. :cheeky:

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Beer prices have actually dropped since July. RD35-40 for a pequenia and RD60-65 for a grande as opposed to RD50 and 75 respectively before.

Thanks Chip this is more of the type of answer I was looking for.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Bishop Monger,

I haven't noticed that at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.