Private rental safety...

tmold44

Oct 10, 2007
My wife and I and our 2 young children are in the middle of planning a trip this Feb. or Mar. to the Samana area. We plan on renting a private villa for our stay. We have previously been to the DR but only to stay at all-inclusive resorts. Therefore we have no idea what we are getting into as far as the safety of staying by yourself in a private rental. We really want to make this a sightseeing vacation thi9s time rather than lay on the beach and drink the whole time. reading on eof the other message boards I became concerned as it reported numerous attacks on american tourists lately. Is there any truth to this or should it be discounted as someones attempt to scare people away? Any info would be appreciated as we make our plans.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
My wife and I and our 2 young children are in the middle of planning a trip this Feb. or Mar. to the Samana area. We plan on renting a private villa for our stay. We have previously been to the DR but only to stay at all-inclusive resorts. Therefore we have no idea what we are getting into as far as the safety of staying by yourself in a private rental. We really want to make this a sightseeing vacation thi9s time rather than lay on the beach and drink the whole time. reading on eof the other message boards I became concerned as it reported numerous attacks on american tourists lately. Is there any truth to this or should it be discounted as someones attempt to scare people away? Any info would be appreciated as we make our plans.
May I suggest that renting a villa would be higher risk than a hotel that provides you will your needs, including security.
Most of us agree that all inclusive resorts are kind of boring, but there are wonderful hotels out that way, which would make much more sense than a villa, IMHO.

tmold44

Oct 10, 2007
Thanks you...

So I take it that is a polite attempt at telling me i would be putting my familly at ris if i did the rental thing. This is the place we were considering...

Villa Mashek

I guess maybe we should reconsider...

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I am familiar with this villa. It's a fine place. Just do your homework as you would in another country. Don't keep anything very valuable. Have some petty cash all the time (have always 2000RD$ ready, or at least 100US$ to give away in case of armed robbery... it most likely will never happen, but be ready...). Close the front-door after sunset. Don't open to strangers. I haven't heard of any problems with this villa. Make a backup of your important files from your laptop to another location.
Your family shall be just fine...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
So I take it that is a polite attempt at telling me i would be putting my familly at ris if i did the rental thing. This is the place we were considering...

Villa Mashek

I guess maybe we should reconsider...
No, that was not my intent.
I do not know the villa in question, nor the area, as I live far away.
I was making an assumption, that in general, a villa might provide less general security than a hotel. but it would vary from case to case.
I and many others here on DR1 feel a strong sense of responsibility towards posters who make inquiries about safety.
We are sometimes caught between a rock and a hard place, in wanting to warn people of every possible scenario, without making it sound like Calcutta, which it certainly is not.
Others will surely chime in with their opinions, and that should help you make the best possible decision.

tmold44

Oct 10, 2007
Thanks guys...

Thats exactly the info Im looking for. Id love to try the private villa thing as i think it would be a completely different and adventuresome experience...however it has to be relatively safe. The wife is already hedging towards a resort again. We will see. Thanks again for all the input.

dahlia

Nov 21, 2006
private villa or hotel ??

I agree with what has been said and I would not discourage you about the villa (which I don't know). But you could think of choosing an in-between solution : a non inclusive hotel where you would have a kind of privacy with more security than in a villa, as for ex. Las Palmas la mar Welcome to Las Palmas al Mar! or Playacolibri Playa Colibri Hotel - Oceanfront Apartments in Las Terrenas Dominican Republic or some others, who propose "villas" or appartments (with nice well equipped kitchen) in front of the sea with the hotel services and security night and day - and you can enjoy the nice evening on your terrass without any risk. Sure your wife would feel secure, and you would avoid the all incl athmosphere. We have been there often and nerver had any problem

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
The Features

... Id love to try the private villa thing as i think it would be a completely different and adventuresome experience...however it has to be relatively safe.

Well, your 'villa thing' features
"Maid, cook, gardener, pool cleaner, and 24 hour attendant all included".
Want more?

Janin

tmold44

Oct 10, 2007
lol....

Well I thought the same until I contacted them and it turns out they are all the same people...lol...Actually there is a small house next to the property that a husband and wife and child live in and they are the maid/pool person/attendants...so the description is a bit decieving yet still someone is at least nearby!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well I thought the same until I contacted them and it turns out they are all the same people...lol...Actually there is a small house next to the property that a husband and wife and child live in and they are the maid/pool person/attendants...so the description is a bit decieving yet still someone is at least nearby!
If you catch someone being less than honest, then you should not trust anything they say (or write).