Is there a location in DR suitable for an observatory?

invest07

Oct 10, 2007
The ideal location would be high in elevation, relatively cloud free, have access to electric and some kind of road access. Either public or private ownership is OK. Anyone know of such a location?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The ideal location would be high in elevation, relatively cloud free, have access to electric and some kind of road access. Either public or private ownership is OK. Anyone know of such a location?
How high is high?
Isabela De Tores might suit you.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Here in Santiago there is an observatory located at Calle Mirador, los Cerros de gurabo. My friend had been a member of the Astronomic Club for 30 years, his name is Ramon Caceres ( Nino).Tel 809-583-1691.you can contact him. he is a very reliable and helpful man.
JJ.

invest07

Oct 10, 2007
Rocky

Thank you for your response.

The ideal height would be somewhere above the cloud line. This is probably around 2000 meters. My research says the Nebia trange in the Southwest is drier than the central mountains, although lower in elevation. Elevations in Nebia are up to 2300 meters and up to 3000 in the central range.

Higher elevations have a clearer view because the atmosphere is less dense. And above the cloud line and dry means fewer evenings with viewing blocked by clouds.

If you are aware of any observatories, I would be interested in contacting them.

invest07

Oct 10, 2007
bachata

Thank you for your response. I will contact your friend, Ramon. Se Habla Espanol un poco so is Ramon an English speaker?

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
bachata

Thank you for your response. I will contact your friend, Ramon. Se Habla Espanol un poco so is Ramon an English speaker?

Did you set up your observatory yet, because there are definately changes that I would like to see investigated and my telescope is not powerful enough, I reported a few months ago about the significant changes but this was mocked by some, its nice to see the professionals coming in now and a relief that Im not so crazy after all! Any resultive info surely helps us in our knowledge about the extreme weather patterns occurring, the sea and the sky give us warnings that many ignore or maybe dont understand.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The best sites would be at Alto Bandera(18? 49' N; 70? 38' W - some 1,500 mt) and Loma EL Penon in Santiago(Lat 19.0833333 Long -71.0833333 Elev 2309 mt).

You'll need donkeys and your own portable power source but the view will be 100% above anything else!!!!