Error On Marriage License

Sadams

Feb 23, 2007
I was married in Santiago D.R. in March by an attorney and notice on the license that they misspelled my husbands name they typed a c instead of a s. my husband and myself went to see the attorney on October 5th, but she was not available. He has tried several times to contact this attorney and she will not return his telephone calls. Does anyone have any advise on what he can do to get this corrected?
Thanks so much for any help you can provide.
Susanne

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Didn't the attorney preform the ceremony as a Notary Public?

Marriages in the DR are performed by an Oficial de Estado Civil (or priest) not a notary public or attorney and I am lead to believe there are not too many of them (not sure why I feel this way, probably because the resort weddings need to be scheduled well in advance). I suppose it is possible for an attorney to be an Oficial de Estado Civil but Idon't believe many are so designated, if any.

Gregg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Could this be a case of being led down a "golden" path?? I certainly hope not.

Send me a PM is a day or two so's I can take a peek at this, okay? I am currently out of country.

HB

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Fireguy is correct. Civil marriages can only be performed by an Oficial de Estado Civil appointed by the Junta Central Electoral. Each Oficial has jurisdiction over a limited geographically-assigned area of the country. Most, if not all, of the Oficiales are lawyers.

If the error was in the marriage certificate -- the birth certificate and c?dula show the correct name -- you may have it corrected without much problem.

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Same here

I also became Raul instead of Paul on my marriage certificate. Never bothered about it and after having produced the certificate on numberous occasions no-one has ever even commented on the discrepancy.

All the officials seem interested in is that it has the required 500 odd stamps and signatures on it. LOL

I suppose it could prove more of a potential problem if the surname is mis-spelt.

Paul (not RAUL)