Architect's pay

beepbeep

Aug 28, 2007
Which law says that the architect's pay for doing the plans and supervising a real estate project is 10% of total cost?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
In most countries an architects fees are based on what he/she actually does. If all they do is design the project and develop the plans(the most important part) the fee is usually in the neighbourhood of 5-10%. If the architect is supervising the project....etc at 10% your are getting a good deal. A good architect develops your vision, and puts in into reality. Fees also go up if the building is more complex, more roof lines, elevations...etc. Usually there is a fee schedule, just like when paying a builder.

gini

Dec 12, 2005
In most countries an architects fees are based on what he/she actually does. If all they do is design the project and develop the plans(the most important part) the fee is usually in the neighbourhood of 5-10%. If the architect is supervising the project....etc at 10% your are getting a good deal. A good architect develops your vision, and puts in into reality. Fees also go up if the building is more complex, more roof lines, elevations...etc. Usually there is a fee schedule, just like when paying a builder.

I want to build a house in Cabrera area and have found an architect, she asks me 115000 RD$ to complete my project, develop the plans, make all the formalities to obtain the permit but not to supervise the project, I will do it myself or eventually with a maestro. Do you think it's a good deal ?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I want to build a house in Cabrera area and have found an architect, she asks me 115000 RD$ to complete my project, develop the plans, make all the formalities to obtain the permit but not to supervise the project, I will do it myself or eventually with a maestro. Do you think it's a good deal ?

Heck no it's not a good deal. I have a very good Dominican friend who is a maestro who has an engineer friend who will do it for a fraction of the price. Contact me if you are interested. I myself am an engineer, but only work in the States. The architect, btw, is charging prices that would be charged in the States.

Good grief it astounds me how much the locals try to rob foreiegner - it makes me downright ashamed.

Jan 5, 2006
It's impossible to give you an accurate answer without knowing the particulars of the project. Are you building a 3 room shack or a 12 bedroom mansion? See what I mean? ;)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It's impossible to give you an accurate answer without knowing the particulars of the project. Are you building a 3 room shack or a 12 bedroom mansion? See what I mean? ;)

More importantly, does the Architect know you are a foreigner? Yes, a 12 bedroom mansion will cost more than a 3 bdr house but RD115k is plain ridiculous. Of course, if the poster wants to pay it and is happy, by all means do it. However, a local would never pay that.

Jan 5, 2006
Chip, what if the architect's fee includes the permit fees (bribes) for building the house? We really need to know more information. On the surface, it appears to be too much, but you know what happens when someone assumes. ;)

$115k is only 10% of $1.15MILL, which is not a lot money depending on the house being built.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This is $3500 dollars to develop and change the plans iaw what the buyer wants, should include testing of the soil to confirm proper substructure...etc, and arrange all permits. It doesn't seem that high to me.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Read what Chip said. $3,500 US does not sound like much for this work but the DR is NOT the US.

There are certain ceilings that only locals know about when dealing with the cost of goods and services in their homeland. If you as a foreigner overpay for these services by a lot this is going to ruin it for everyone else.

These things need to be kept in check, and I think Chip can be very helpful getting the OP a reasonable rate for this service.

Bravo to you, Chip.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
beepbeep, could you be confusing the fee of the engineer/builder at 10% of overall cost? I've personally never heard of architects fees expressed as a percentage of total cost. More a fee based on size, detail etc of project.

gini, if this gives you something to go on - 7 years ago when we built our new house, architect fee was 34,000 pesos. That was for a house of 375 sq. metres on a lot (then) of 660 sq. metres (which has since been extended). Ours is a big house, all on one level in an upmarket area in PP. That didn't include supervision of construction which would have been extra. Nor did it include planning permissions which we did separately at a cost then of 15,000 pesos. Our architect was great - should have used him to supervise the engineer (who was also an architect) but we didn't. Remember prices have gone up in the last 7 years - whether they've doubled........I doubt it.

gini

Dec 12, 2005
OK, thanks to all for your remarks !

First of all, sorry for my english, it's not my first language so I will try to give you more details :

the project is a very simple house 8X18 m, one level, 3 bedrooms, flat roof with possibility to add a half level afterwards + terrace and pool

Chip : yes she knows I'm a foreigner :tired:

Tomorrow, I'll post the details of her proposition

THX

Jan 5, 2006
You're getting ripped off! I would say that the real charge should be somewhere between 30-40% of what you're being asked to pay.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Plans for a home can be done for RD5,000 to RD15,000. This is from my dominican buddy who is a maestro. He has a friend who he has worked with for years who is an Engineer and he draws them up in cad and seals them. Also, soil borings aren't really necessary because a good engineer or maestro will overbuild the house, especially if he doesn't have anything to gain by specifying cheap materials - such as the case of some homebuilders.

To have an understanding of how different prices are charged and how much cheaper things cost here, my wife had a cesarian in August and we paid RD15k, which covered the room and everthing, minus the medicine. In the States US15k easy.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Just my opinion:

Some Maestros may have a good hand a drawing a house and in some cases a real architect is really not absolutely necessary. Some maestros may also get away without the need of an engeniero to calculate beams and columns... he just makes then strong enough by experience and all may be OK. Still, you may want to look around and visit some of these maestro-designs... not all prove to be very as talented at drawing an intelligent design as they may be at building it off the plans drawn by somebody who has studied this as a profession... And then, there are horror stories about architects too.
If it's a simple house, you may get away just fine making up your own drawing based on layouts you have seen in the US or the Internet and work them out with your maestro.
Bigger investments should however be worked out with professionals... and that has a price.
I would not pay an architect on a commission basis either, but in many cases the maestro is, however his work pays back for himself as he is supposed to have discounts for all the materials which could even be more than what you are paying him.
I you are paying anyone for getting your permits and such, have them shown to you and have their authenticity double checked by an other source.

... J-D.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
the project is a very simple house 8X18 m, one level, 3 bedrooms, flat roof with possibility to add a half level afterwards + terrace and pool

Yes, the quote you were given is too much for the house you describe. Forgot to add to my post above that our architect included soil sampling & after requesting we got copies of these. I know you posted that your architect would apply for the planning permits as well but did she say she would cover these costs in her fee? Because if not, that is another amount you have to add on. Permits should be stamped on top copy of the plans, btw. And I agree with JDSauser - don't pay an architect on a percentage of total, pay a fee for a job the size of which is known in advance.

gini

Dec 12, 2005
I'm a little confused with all your remarks :ermm:

First of all, in fact I don't need anyone to design my home, it's only a copy-paste of my plans and my daughter and her boyfriend are building -engineers in Belgium, so I only need someone who will help me to obtain the permits !

What is the best way ?? architect is not an obligation in DR ?? A maestro can apply for the permits ?

Chip, I think I will have a little trip to Santiago one of these days ;)

Thanks to all

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm a little confused with all your remarks :ermm:

First of all, in fact I don't need anyone to design my home, it's only a copy-paste of my plans and my daughter and her boyfriend are building -engineers in Belgium, so I only need someone who will help me to obtain the permits !

What is the best way ?? architect is not an obligation in DR ?? A maestro can apply for the permits ?

Chip, I think I will have a little trip to Santiago one of these days ;)

Thanks to all

Send me a pm and will get together. I'll be back in town this week.