Dominicans in Michigan

Meraux

Sep 17, 2006
Hola amigos!

I am looking for some people nearby who I can talk more about the DR.

Twice I have traveld to the DR on business and for pleasure.

Leonardo

Kimmir

Mar 7, 2007
Hola I do not know of many Dominicans in Michigan but I do know dozens of Michiganders who go to the D.R. on a regular basis myself included.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
There are a few of us Dominicans up here in Michigan. I don't keep much in touch, but if you do a search you'll find a few who have posted in this forum. Also there's a small Dominican community in Grand Rapids...

Kimmir

Mar 7, 2007
There are a few of us Dominicans up here in Michigan. I don't keep much in touch, but if you do a search you'll find a few who have posted in this forum. Also there's a small Dominican community in Grand Rapids...

Where in Grand Rapids? And is there a resturant!! Love Dominican food.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Hola amigos!

I am looking for some people nearby who I can talk more about the DR.

Twice I have traveld to the DR on business and for pleasure.

Leonardo

Hola, I am from Michigan as well, although I relocated to the DR almost a year and a half ago. Where about in Michigan do you reside? Since I was heavily into the salsa, merengue, bachata scene, I had the pleasure of meeting and getting to know quite a few Domincans before I moved here. Depending on where you live, I can tell you where to find Dominicans, as well as lots of other fun-loving latinos/latinas.

LoiS-sez

Jan 17, 2008
LoiS-sez.com
Hola fellow Michiganders! (Remember a gander's a male goose & this female is ready to fly to the Puerto Plata next month for a week of thawing out!)
I'd also be interested in any from DR here. I'm shivering in the SE part of the Michigan mitten. Surprisingly I'll be visiting in the Grand Rapids area tomorrow, so let me join Kimmir in asking, even though my home area's closer to Flint/Detroit/Lansing. Fell in love with DR on my honeymoon & we've saved to go back there.
While in DR next month I want to talk with Puerto Plata area private schools about how storytelling could help with learning English. Any leads on email info for them beyond ISSA & Garden Kids would be appreciated.
(Also is there any way to get those delicious anise flavored breadsticks I ate there?)
LoiS(orry this email goes in several directions, but I'm getting excited as my trip nears)

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Hola fellow Michiganders! (Remember a gander's a male goose & this female is ready to fly to the Puerto Plata next month for a week of thawing out!)
I'd also be interested in any from DR here. I'm shivering in the SE part of the Michigan mitten. Surprisingly I'll be visiting in the Grand Rapids area tomorrow, so let me join Kimmir in asking, even though my home area's closer to Flint/Detroit/Lansing. Fell in love with DR on my honeymoon & we've saved to go back there.
While in DR next month I want to talk with Puerto Plata area private schools about how storytelling could help with learning English. Any leads on email info for them beyond ISSA & Garden Kids would be appreciated.
(Also is there any way to get those delicious anise flavored breadsticks I ate there?)
LoiS(orry this email goes in several directions, but I'm getting excited as my trip nears)

Wow, I can feel your excitement right through my monitor! Well, I'm really happy you love the DR and can't wait to get back for another great vacation. Sorry you're so cold; I can feel that in your email too (lol). I remember all to well; also I'm a born and raised Detroiter. Lived there all my life until moving here. Sorry I can't help you out about the Grand Rapids area, but if you really want to meet more folks from the DR who are living there, the one place I know you'll find them is anywhere that they have latin night at the clubs. I used to go out almost every weekend and that's how I got to meet and make a lot of friends. And especially anywhere that DJ Cisco is spinning (he's from the DR), you're going to have a great time. He's the best DJ in that area IMHO.

As for a lead about the schools, there's a thread here on DR1 about private schools. I'm sure you can get contact information from there and then put together a plan to meet with the school administrators of some of them while you're here next month. Since I don't have kids, I'm not much up on schools here.

Anise flavored breadsticks???? Hmmm..... sounds good but I'm not sure I've had them. Did you get them at a resort or an outside restaurant?

Hope I've been of at least a tiny bit of help. PM me if you want specific info. about the clubs in the Detroit area.

I know this might sound strange to you but.... could you bring me a snowball? (lol) I've been feeling a little bit homesick lately. :bunny:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hey Trabajadora I'm freezing my butt off here in Adrian, Michigan at the moment. You can have all the snowballs you wish...as a matter of fact you can have this whole snow deal. I was just in The DR and I'm missing it already.

suzita1

Jan 20, 2008
I know someone just across the border from Detroit that I may be able to put you in contact with. Will send you a private message once I get permission from them.

Chichiguita

Dec 30, 2004
I wish I would have known about all of you a few months ago when I lived in Indiana (close to the Michigan border)!!! Now I am in Mississippi!

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Hey Trabajadora I'm freezing my butt off here in Adrian, Michigan at the moment. You can have all the snowballs you wish...as a matter of fact you can have this whole snow deal. I was just in The DR and I'm missing it already.

Hi Suarezn, send it on. I'm guess I'm just a snow bunny at heart; being born in the dead of winter (January). As long as I don't have to wait for a bus, clear snow off my car, or walk for miles, (and I hadn't had to do any of those things for years), I was cool with the snow (snowboarding, ice skating, etc.). So send me all you don't want and I'll mix it with a little sunshine here and have me a "slushy"!

Besides, all that dancing I used to do in the latin clubs kept me pretty cozy (sweaty). O.K. I know, I'm off topic. Sorry. :cross-eye