Mountain biking/hiking tracks in Samana

tallhoward

Oct 30, 2007
I am holidaying in DR and intend to spend on week in Las Terrenas.
Several websites I have looked at say that Samana peninsula is a great place for nature lovers, mountain biking and hiking. However, I have been unable to find any more specific information.
For example has anyone managed to hire a reasonable mountain bike in Las Terrenas and then ride a good 20-30km route mainly off road or at least off roads with traffic, and where did they go?
I will have a hire car available. Has anyone been on any nice 5-10 km hikes anywhere on the peninsula, and where did they start from?
Has anyone found any tracks to be good for bird watching?
Anyone know of any books perhaps available in Samana with this sort of information?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I don't have the answers to all your questions, but if I were going to do it, I might bring my own bike on the airplane with me, as many people do, and I would go to Las Galeras instead of Las Terrenas, as it's that much more natural and pristine, and there must be a zillion little trails all over the place.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I know of two places on the island that rent out quality mountainbikes, Iguana Mama (Iguana Mama - Mountain Biking, Hiking & Ecological Adventures) in Cabarete and Rancho Cascada in Ocoa (Dominican Republic, Rancho Cascada - Travel, Loding & Vacation) . I've done rides in both areas, but they're not exactly close to Samana, and you might like Rocky suggests need to bring your own bike to Samana. But those 2 outfits, together with Planet Bike in the capital (PLANET BIKE, mountain bike,bicicleta montaña,ciclismo montaña,mtb,rutas,republica dominicana) should be good sources for info on mountainbiking in the DR.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
"LaBellaventura" in Las Galeras

I am holidaying in DR and intend to spend on week in Las Terrenas.
Several websites I have looked at say that Samana peninsula is a great place for nature lovers, mountain biking and hiking. However, I have been unable to find any more specific information.
For example has anyone managed to hire a reasonable mountain bike in Las Terrenas and then ride a good 20-30km route mainly off road or at least off roads with traffic, and where did they go?
I will have a hire car available. Has anyone been on any nice 5-10 km hikes anywhere on the peninsula, and where did they start from?
Has anyone found any tracks to be good for bird watching?
Anyone know of any books perhaps available in Samana with this sort of information?

Contact Gerard or Michelle from "LaBellaventura" in Las Galeras, they are both Triathlon and Ironman competitors. My son was fortunate to go with Gerard and one other fellow on a memorable trip of Samana Peninsula by mountain bike.
LaBellaventura site is link from samana.net
WebDev