looking for the definition of dominican-haitian.

joval

Nov 8, 2004
I read a post somewhere, where it mentioned: a dominican-haitian child.
which made me wonder about the clear definition:
dominican child. a child born to both parents dominican.
haitian child. a child born to both parents haitian.
dominican-haitian child. however, does this refer to: a haitian child living in DR. or does this mean, a child born to a dominican and a haitian parent.
I'm confused. Or could it mean both ? Care to share your thoughts on this?
and would a dominican-haitian child be looked down apon?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Dominican-Haitian (dominico-haitiano in Spanish) usually means Dominican-born children of Haitian parents, or of Haitian origin.

dietcokeplease

Nov 1, 2007
I read a post somewhere, where it mentioned: a dominican-haitian child.
which made me wonder about the clear definition:
dominican child. a child born to both parents dominican.
haitian child. a child born to both parents haitian.
dominican-haitian child. however, does this refer to: a haitian child living in DR. or does this mean, a child born to a dominican and a haitian parent.
I'm confused. Or could it mean both ? Care to share your thoughts on this?
and would a dominican-haitian child be looked down apon?

I would assume it to meen a child of a dominican parent and a haitian parent.
Make sense?
Dietcoke:paranoid:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's not my interpretation, Curt - it's the definition in the DR context. :)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
What would theu call the child of one Dominican and one Hatian parents?
There are two terms, one is 'polite' and the other is more slang, but neither are offensive:

1. Dom?nico-haitiano

2. Rayano

-NALs

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A Dominicano/Haitiano Child Is Defined By The World Court In "La Haig" As:

A child,of either sex, that was born just as his,or her,mother crossed the border between Haiti and the Dominican Republic! They must have one foot in each Country to qualify.
Quite simple when you think about it!
Other than that,there is absolutely no difference between the two nationalities! NONE!
Cris Colon CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Denomination used in English to continue the US custom of indicating ethnicity. Italian-American, Dominican-American, Mexican-American, etc.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Last edited:

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
Other than that,there is absolutely no difference between the two nationalities! NONE!
Cris Colon CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

One Boricua jokingly called me " a White Haitian" ( I'm Dominican) and others around ( african-americans) were laughing, because they think that " White Haitian" is an oxymoron. I told them, that " There are White Haitians in Haiti !".

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
One Boricua jokingly called me " a White Haitian" ( I'm Dominican) and others around ( african-americans) were laughing, because they think that " White Haitian" is an oxymoron. I told them, that " There are White Haitians in Haiti !".
Even some Haitians seem to think that its an oxymoron as well.... I guess it has to do with the fact that out of 8 million people, only 80,000 are white with many of them being foreigners (ambassadors, NGO employees, etc) living in Haiti.

This is what "Ape Man" (that's his online name) in another forum that you can go by clicking at the link after the quote, had to say:

Haitians come of all shades, melting pot blah blah, just that 99.9999 to the 99.999 power are black or mixraced...

as for white Haitians, I knew some in Haiti they lived next door...they were legitimately white skinned blond haired whites born and raised in Haiti but they were black to me cause I learned from way back that Dessalines law was anyone claiming Haitian citizenship was black and recognized that fact otherwise they had to go...that was changed but in my mind anyone claiming to be Haitian in Haiti is black no matter what complexion

White Haitian???

As for the DR, and using a very conservative figure such as 8%, that would amount to 720,000 whites; using a more realistic figure of 10% puts the number at 900,000. That's probably more than the entire population of the lesser antilles combined.

-NALs

Last edited:

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
Even some Haitians seem to think that its an oxymoron as well.... I guess it has to do with the fact that out of 8 million people, only 80,000 are white with many of them being foreigners (ambassadors, NGO employees, etc) living in Haiti.

This is what "Ape Man" (that's his online name) in another forum that you can go by clicking at the link after the quote, had to say:

White Haitian???

As for the DR, and using a very conservative figure such as 8%, that would amount to 720,000 whites; using a more realistic figure of 10% puts the number at 900,000. That's probably more than the entire population of the lesser antilles combined.

-NALs

I read that thread long time ago, and knew about Dessalines's law. It was for national security purposes. Haitixchange is a very good website.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Denomination used in English to continue the US custom of indicating ethnicity. Italian-American, Dominican-American, Mexican-American, etc.
Surely yes, although here it seems to be the other way round, country of residence first, ethnic origins second.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Name "THREE THINGS" That You Will NEVER Find In The Carribean????

1. A Cuban who isn't a LIAR !
2. A Puerto Rican who isn't a THIEF !
3 Or a Dominican who is WHITE !

Told to me by a "Dominicano"!
Who had,.. like ALL Dominicans,... "Un Chin de "Negro" detras de la oreja!"

I've been to Haiti,I live in the DR. The ONLY difference I see is that in Haiti they decorate their trucks really nice!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Every Country has "Someplace" where they think they are; "Better Than"!

The DR doesn't have many "places" to choose from!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11