buying a villa for dummies!!

Joanie

Oct 15, 2007
Hello Members,

I'm a newbie when it comes to purchasing a villa. I read about real estate but the language is chinese to me. I just don't get it. :eek: I want to purchase a villa for my family, but I don't want to be suckered into a price that I could have gotten for a lot less. For this matter, can you lower a price of a villa by much where ever it is located? What are the questions you must not forget to ask a real estate broker when they are showing you a villa? I'm very interested in villas in Casa Linda and Residencial Hispaniola. I don't know which one is better?? I love gated communities but I don't know if it's a good idea to pay a monthly maintenance if I'm not going to live there all the time. I live in NY. I don't know what to do? But I want a villa so bad and I don't want to be over priced for one. Please help!!!! :confused:

thanks,
joanie

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Then contact Curt Erickson. He's our DR1 real estate expert on the north coast. He can also explain to you about renting and how to get a good return on your villa by utilizing DR1 and it's 1,000's of daily visitors.

Email: curt@dr1.com

I'll second what Robert said, Curt is a super nice guy, and no doubt you'll get an honest, objective opinion from him.

Curt Erickson

DR1 Real Estate
Sep 11, 2007
Hello Members,

I'm a newbie when it comes to purchasing a villa. I read about real estate but the language is chinese to me. I just don't get it. I want to purchase a villa for my family, but I don't want to be suckered into a price that I could have gotten for a lot less. For this matter, can you lower a price of a villa by much where ever it is located? What are the questions you must not forget to ask a real estate broker when they are showing you a villa? I'm very interested in villas in Casa Linda and Residencial Hispaniola. I don't know which one is better?? I love gated communities but I don't know if it's a good idea to pay a monthly maintenance if I'm not going to live there all the time. I live in NY. I don't know what to do? But I want a villa so bad and I don't want to be over priced for one. Please help!!!!

thanks,
joanie

Hi Joanie,
An entire book could be written on the subject, and still not have covered every detail.
In your case, a few things stand out.
You would want to enquire from a trustworthy source, if the properties that interest you have clear title.
You would also want to know how much similar properties have sold for in the recent past, so that you can gauge the value of the one that interests you.
You would have to decide if you will want to rent it out while you?re not living in it, and if so, how much return you could realistically expect.
You would then need to find a reputed firm or person to manage the property for you.

There are many standard things to look into before purchasing in a gated community, such as security, the reputation of the management, the quality of construction, the present condition of the property, etc.
You should also become familiar with all the rules and regulations of the community.
Something as simple as animals being forbidden could have a major effect on your desire to purchase.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to post them or email me for more info.
Curt Erickson
curt@dr1.com

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I love gated communities but I don't know if it's a good idea to pay a monthly maintenance if I'm not going to live there all the time. I live in NY.
joanie
Even if you bought a house outside of a gated community, you would still have monthly costs to keep it maintained and secure, so one way or another, it would cost you if you're not using it.
On the other hand, if you rent it out, then it's just part of the normal expenses to be deducted from the rent you receive.
The real secret here is to deal with people who are known to be of good reputation.
That's the number 1 priority.