K-3...and IR-1...?

cbarrin

Feb 1, 2005
okay...my head is about to explode trying to understand all of this...First, I origanally put on the list for a K-3...but we've been married over 2 years, so we should of been moved to an IR-1...Oh and I'm an American Citizen...

Okay...what i"m hearing is I need to send things to my husband for him to send through the courier...Please break it down for me step by step...what form does he need from me... for him to send to through the courier

cbarrin

Feb 1, 2005
OH...to add some more...I saw the list of things I needed...but I really thought I brought all of that with me...I didn't know I needed to send it to him....oh and about the BC....a notorized copy from me is okay?

cbarrin

Feb 1, 2005
Oh I know I'm sounding frazzled right now, because I am...paperwork has always fustrated me, and with something so important....the thought of messing up scares the crap out of me...so everybody, please be patient with me...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Oh I know I'm sounding frazzled right now, because I am...paperwork has always fustrated me, and with something so important....the thought of messing up scares the crap out of me...so everybody, please be patient with me...

I understand. Just relax and someone will get to your questions.

I have split your question because the other was about KI interview.This will give people a chance to see a new heading

Last edited:

antoniusbl

Oct 27, 2007
Miami, Florida, United States
cbarrin,

I am in the same boat as you as far as being confused and frustrated with all the terminology and paperwork so I am probably not the best person to take a shot at answering your question.

First, I would ask you if your spouse has been given an interview date yet? If you havent reached that stage then the document collection is not at the critical point yet though you probably want to start gathering whatever you can in advance.

You will know if your spouse has received a interview date because a DomEx courier will arrive at his house with a packet of instructions and the DS-230 form. Depending on what time in the month your interview appointment is scheduled you will have at the very least a couple of weeks to get everything together. In our case we received our appointment package around the 10th of October for our Nov 30 interview so there was a lot of time for us to prepare everything.

I have heard that the BC is not needed as long as you have a copy of your passport. In my case I happened to have a copy with me (I am living down here with my wife and kids while waiting for our interview.

In any case, there are some very knowledgeable people who should be showing up shortly to answer your question but the most important thing to answer would be whether or not you already have your interview sceduled or you are still on the waiting list.

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Cbarin,,, I belive they will change the status to IR-1 @the interview, upon granting the visa, They will see that you have been married for over two years.

torochulo

Nov 14, 2006
~Help is available!~

I am in the same situation as you are... My wife is in the DR, awaiting her K3 Visa appointment so that I can bring her over to the US. You were not very specific as to the details specific to your case, so the best resource I can guide you to is to visit: Dominicanstotheusa.com. This is an in-depth forum for those going through the immigration process to be with their loved one. They have greatly helped me understand and navigate the process, so check it out. Hopefully they can be of help to you and other DR1'ers as well. Good Luck!
~El ToroChulo

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
FYI..the site is currently down due to maintenance but Tim will have it up soon

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
Thanks guys. Cbarrin, you just need to remind them at the consulate to do your case as an IR1. You can only do this IF all your stuff is done at the NVC and they have forwarded your I-130 to the Consulate. You will know this because you will have two case numbers. You would have sent the I-864 and DS-230 to the NVC earlier and they would have processed it there. You also should have paid a $380 fee to the NVC. If you did all that, you should process your case as an IR-1. In any case, you should ask to do it that way anyway, it's much better than the K3.

-Tim