Does a non-resident pay income tax on dominican income if one works in santo domingo?

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
If I work for a Dominican company in santo domingo like a call center or at a universiy teaching english, will the company or university not hire me because legally I have established no form of legal residence status in the dominican republic? The law section in Dr1 says that expats like someone from the US have worked for years without legally establishing dominican residence status. If I taught English in the form of privates lessons or under contract for a Dominican company, I guess all of this Dominican residency stuff would not matter. In the US, one has to have a driver's license, social security card, or passaport to legally work. But in santo domingo and the dominican republic the structure to work may not be as stringent and tightly enforced.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The relaxed way of going about hiring non-documented foreigners may have changed in 2007, as given the new Tax Department (DGII) requirements, it is becoming more difficult to employ non-documented foreigners and have their wages a business expense. It will depend on the company. I would say that the answer to your question is yes, they may not hire you because you are not legal. But ask the companies. They may have a way around it. Let us know.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Live_for_life ..........
In another thread you stated you wanted to make a go of it here! Do yourself a favour & COMMIT yourself to your new adopted country & start the application process for your Residency.

Apart from the improved chances of you being offered a position (you have demonstrated you are here to stay quite a while), RESIDENCIA will help you become an accepted member of the Dominican Community!! Having a Cedula to show when applying for positions, doing legal transactions, getting contracts with EdeSud, Codetel, ......... etc ad infinitum (or should that be ad nauseum??) helps the process through a lot more easily.

GO for it!! ~ Grahame.