Cabarete Now Is a Traffic Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
For those of you that have not been driving through Cabarete in the last few days, don't.

They are doing septic work and it takes between 30 minutes to an hour to go the 1 KM through Cabarete. One lane is closed.

From what I hear this is not a short term deal. Avoid it if you can.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
For those of you that have not been driving through Cabarete in the last few days, don't.

They are doing septic work and it takes between 30 minutes to an hour to go the 1 KM through Cabarete. One lane is closed.

We are now offering ferry rides at both extremeties of Cabarete, guaranteed to get you through in 10 minutes.
Cars : 100 pesos
Trucks and SUV's : 200 pesos
Adult pedestrians : 20 pesos
Little kids : Free, as we throw them overboard along the way and watch them swim back.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
To expand on SKY's post...

The crew made one pass thru Cabarete digging up the north side of the road to install pipes. They're now going back through installing what appear to be manhole covers near the center of the road. In what I guess is preparation for eventual paving, several of these manhole covers are high enough above the pavement that you'd risk damage to underside of your car - so drive carefully.

DAYTIME
Traffic's been one lane during the second construction (destruction?)pass thru town & handled rather well by DR standards. During the daytime, they are stopping traffic at each end of town & allowing traffic through one direction at a time.

Out of 6 one way trips through town in the last week, 5 took less than 5 minutes including all waiting time. The other took 30+ minutes due to two large trucks that couldn't get past each other.

NIGHTTIME
So far, there's been no one directing traffic at night. Portions are one lane & you're on your own trying to get thru these without running into someone coming your direction. There's room for your car & oncoming moto, but nothing else. On weekends, I'll use motos to avoid having to deal with it. Weeknights traffic is low enough it's not been too bad.

RUMOR
I heard there's a target date of Dec 15 to have the work completed AND the road repaved. The specific year was not mentioned.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Traffic

I have heard the same thing from a friend in Costa Azul. He claims it is really bad and not a quick fix. Frustrating, to say the least. Apparently, they started working on it ages ago and had to rip up what they started and start over from scratch for a crazy reason which I don't recall exactly. Only in the DR!
Steve

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
They're ripping up the road to put in the main's pipe, hence the manhole covers. Before was the agua negra pipe, that's the one that was at the side of the road.
It's annoying, but it's good for us all. This is major infrastructure being put into position for the coming boom.
My favourite part right now is when the traffic cops leave for lunch and evryone is left to ram into each other for an hour.

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
Linda and I found the Cabarete storeowners very helpful when we were stuck on on one side of the street and needed to get across. Three or four times, one of them would run out and stop traffic (almost) and wave us across safely - right into a store where he would try and sell us something. Enterprise and innovation are alive and well and being practised daily in Cabarete. The motos buzz around like flies, on the sidewalk, between the vehicles, just everywhere. We commented several times that it was amazing we didn't see any road accidents while we were in the DR.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
? Is This Not Why We Live Here ??, And You Must Admit, We Love Living Here !.

Status
Not open for further replies.