drive from punta cana to santo domingo at night

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
we arrive in punta cana around 4:30 sunday afternoon and are staying in santo domingo for the week. we looked around on the internet for a place to stay sunday night but it seems most(all that i could find) hotels in the area are AI or have a minimum stay time. we have decided to drive to santo domingo upon arriving and get an early check-in at our resort(acuarium suite resort). i have a good map but speak no english. would you advise doing the drive at night(we hope to be past higuey before dark) or to search for a hotel somewhere along the way? it would be good to just check into our resort a day early and not have to unload the van for the first night and pack it up again... any suggestions. thanks.. ben jammin

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
Personally I wouldn't advise driving from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo at night - last time I did it it was in a taxi, the roads have some very very big potholes and some are extremely dark and I think if you don't know where you're going ti could be a bit of a hairy journey. I have also done it in daylight and then it was a lovely drive and very straight forward. There are plenty of people on here who can give you more advise. Good luck with whichever you decide and let us know how you get on.

Did you mean you speak no Spanish - you're English seems fine to me but might not be much good there ;)

nsdr

Bronze
Feb 1, 2007
driving at night?

Do not drive at night. That is dangerous.

Problems include: cars parked without lights, people walking beside the highway at - you may not see them. Cars or motorcycles driving without lights or certainly headlights shining all over the place. Someone drove right into a large cement barrier across the road that did not have a light. That is only one of many bad accidents that have happened at night.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Driving at night not really safe, besides all the things nsdr mentioned, you have to worry about all the livestock that happens to be on the road at night....wait till morning then go for a drive and enjoy the beautiful country

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
would you advise doing the drive at night(we hope to be past higuey before dark) or to search for a hotel somewhere along the way?

Please don't do it. I have maybe 20 minutes experience of driving at night in the DR. That 20 minutes is 20 minutes too much.

whiskylee

May 13, 2007
Take The Taxi

We travel Juan Dolio - Punta Cana Airport Alot and every time we take the taxi. From my Experience renting is more expensive and much more risky.

We did the Juan dolio - Punta Cana trip 2 weeks ago and the taxi (mini bus) driver was not happy when he hit many pot holes and damaged his taxi !

Take a taxi have a cold beer and let somebody else have the stress !

Regards

Whiskylee

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If that is this Sunday, I think you would best be served to take a night at someplace near Punta Cana/Bavaro. I was just this minute told that the highway from Punta Cana to Higuey was closed for repairs--to fix some of those nasty potholes--and the current route is up through Uvero Alto and on to Higuey. This might be a little difficult for a newbie on these roads...

Just in case.

HB

Feb 7, 2007
Do not drive at night. That is dangerous.

Problems include: cars parked without lights, people walking beside the highway at - you may not see them. Cars or motorcycles driving without lights or certainly headlights shining all over the place. Someone drove right into a large cement barrier across the road that did not have a light. That is only one of many bad accidents that have happened at night.

The potholes aren't that bad, I think there are only 2 major ones, one before the downhill to dam, and second one beofre San Pedro.

But all other advise remains valid. If you do not know the road, don't drive at night. I know the road S Domingo - Higuey very well and I still drive with some anxiety during the night - not so much because of permanent high beams shining into your face or obstacles (moving or stationary), one is always looking for them, and knows where the fixed ones are, but because if something happens - car breakdown, flat tire, etc. - you find yourself in a VERY dangerous situation in (usually) a very dark place.

Feb 7, 2007
If that is this Sunday, I think you would best be served to take a night at someplace near Punta Cana/Bavaro. I was just this minute told that the highway from Punta Cana to Higuey was closed for repairs--to fix some of those nasty potholes--and the current route is up through Uvero Alto and on to Higuey. This might be a little difficult for a newbie on these roads...

Just in case.

HB

AND the route over Uvero Alto also has its huge share of nasty pothols. I don't like driving thru there, but saves over 30 minutes when going to Riu.
Even at 15 mph you hit lots of potholes (but at least the impact is not that bad). Newbie driving thru there, now with lots of traffic (so no space to go around the potholes) is really NOT recommended.