The cheap country? Nonsense...

A

Alex

First of all I want to tell thank for answers on my last poster.

I am surprised. I read about Dominican republic as about the cheap country, but having spent one week on searches of an apartment (room)I had other opinion.

Or all internet sites are designed for "rich" gringo?

I travel on the world and now I am in Ecuador, it is really cheap country. Apartment, light, gas, phone, internet - I pay for all 180 dollars per month.

I wanted to continue my travel and studying of the Spanish to Dominican republic, but now I think to do it whether or not?

I am surprised, the local population receives the salary of 200-300 dollars how they live on this money? Where they live, in huts without light and phone ?

Best regards

Alex

A

Andy

A cheap country? Absolutely NOT, no matter what the guideboods say. As a hotel and restaurant owner, I can attest that it costs as much or MORE to live in the DR as it does at my other home in Florida. In fact, a lot of goods and services cost MORE here.

You can find cheap lodging here; eat a lot of platinos, yammi, yucca, etc. and go to the local Codetel office for the internet. It can be done, but it just takes some snooping around on your part.

E

ECH,M.D.

I read several years ago that compared to Washington, D.C. (which is BY NO MEANS CHEAP) the cost of living in Santo Domingo was 124%. In other words, all goods and services were about 25% MORE than DC. No, it takes MONEY to live in the DR and of course, the more you have, the better you live.

J

Jim Hinsch

It is cheap to vacation in the Dominican Republic, compared to other Caribbean islands, typically by half or more. Living there is another story. Overall, it is expensive to live in the Caribbean. If you want to live at a standard similar to people whose incomes are US$200-300/month, you can.

You can rent a small 1 bedroom/1-bath house for US$100-200/month. If you were coming to the south coast, I know of one for rent right now, furnished with phone and electricity, just blocks from the beach.

K

Keith

Well, I don't know about the 124% figure, but as someone who has lived in the Washington DC area since 1979 except for my 1995-99 stay in Santo Domingo, I can attest that costs for living roughly the same lifestyle is indeed as high or higher in Santo Domingo. As an annual visitor to the DR 1986-1994, I would never have thought so (although I always wondered why restaurants were so high-priced in SD -- high priced vis-a-vis what you receive for the money). But after dealing with trying to stay within budget on a daily basis for four years, there is no doubt in my mind.

As Andy says, yes, you can find very basic living quarters in a so-so part of town, ride the bus and try to live off of fruits, coconuts & plantains you pick from the abundant trees. But that's not what people usually envisage when they talk about moving to SD.

What IS cheaper in SD compared to a US locale like Washington is: schooling (we paid about 1/2 the cost of a Montessori education for our twins, and we find that the Montessori there was better in SD than it is here); visits to the medical clinics for simple things; movies (when I left, no more than US$5; repair labor (not the parts, mind you!) for things like electrical, plumbing, mechanical work; inter-city bus tickets; the water bill.

Our weekly food costs were roughly similar to what we pay here in Northern Virginia (that was a shocker!), pharmaceutical costs are rapidly approaching US levels, SD real estate costs have become absurdly inflated, telephone costs are higher, gasoline prices are higher, costs of banking are higher...

And hey, don't get me started on electricity bills. We were charged the same absurd fee even when our power was out half of every day (which, in our last year -- 98-99 -- was VERY often).

But, let me add the caveat that this all applies to Santo Domingo living. I cannot vouch for the cost of living in Puerto Plata, Santiago, La Romana, SPM, SFM, Bonao, La Vega, Jarabacoa or Higuey. My cousins in Duverge and Ramon Santana claim that it is far cheaper to live there, but then, people there tend to earn far less too...
Regards,
Keith

R

RW

Re: The cheap country?- JIM H.

What part of the south coast were you talking about when you mentioned a house for $100-200 rent? I plan to move to the DR in late August or early Sept. and I am looking for an apartment or house to rent. Thanks!

J

Jim Hinsch

"What part of the south coast were you talking about when you mentioned a house for $100-200 rent? I plan to move to the DR in late August or early Sept. and I am looking for an apartment or house to rent."

Boca Chica.

J

Joseph McCarthy

I believe you standard of living is high. And in countries with a small middle class, you are going to see things that are incredibly expensive, and incredibly cheap. But overall no different then in the United states. I have found that it may be much cheaper if you build a home from the ground up, than actually buying a nice existing home. Labor cost is much less than in the US.

R

RW

Jim,

I thought you might be talking about Boca Chica. Do you happen to know of any housing options in Santo Domingo or a little outside of Santo Domingo? Or do you have any suggestions as to how to research housing options since I am not in the DR yet?

Thanks,

Rhnea

J

Jim Hinsch

"Do you happen to know of any housing options in Santo Domingo or a little outside of Santo Domingo? Or do you have any suggestions as to how to research housing options since I am not in the DR yet?"

I see that there is another poster putting up messages using JIM H. I assume since I answered this question, you are addressing me, Jim Hinsch.

I've sent you the E-mail of a friend who told me he had been able to find himself some very affordable housing in the capital and may be able to offer suggestions.

Another option is to visit the Realestate link at <A HREF="http://www.bocachicabeach.net">www.bocachicabeach.net</A>, subheading "Resources and Info".

Finally, the best way (and in my opinion, the only way), is to come on down. There is not shortage of rental agents and by cruising the area you are interested in, you will see plenty of FOR RENT signs. Also ask at any busy colmado in the area you are interested in, as they tend to be neighborhood social centers and word of mouth is one of the best ways to find a deal.

Beware that if an agent spends time looking for you, he/she may expect some compensation whether you ultimately rent via his/her services or not, so before you engage their services, be clear on that issue. Also note that my experience has been that prices tend to get increased for foreigners. If you know any locals, ask for their help. Be prepared to pay 6-months to 1 year of rent in advance for long term stays in additon to 1-2 months security deposit. Friends advise me that this is becoming more and more the norm for private rentals.

Jim Hinsch
JimHinsch@CSI.COM

R

ROBERT SAUNDERS

nice cars and small houses

As a child growing in the north woods of Canada where we had a generator for power but could only afford gas for about 8 hrs use per week and carried our water from a spring several hundred yards from the house with no indoor plumbing I was comfortable visiting some of my wifes relatives that live similarly in the DR. I noticed many very nice and expensive cars parked in front of shanties that looked like they would blow over at the first strong wind. I asked about this and the comment i got back was these were Dominican yorks whose priorities were not family but status, nice cars and gold chains. I guess young men are the same everywhere in the world. I for one am glad that i don't have to live the way i did as a child and hope that life will become easier for the Dominican people but not at the price we more affluent nations have paid on lifestyle and personal levels.