PUCMM education?

bigjuan163usmc

May 18, 2007
I study medicine in PUCMM but I don't plan on living here after I graduate. When I graduate will I be able to go to the US and work as a doctor? I'm from the United States.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
It won't be a quick process you'll have to go through a few steps of examinations and internships before you are fully licensed. Check out the ECFMG ahead : ECFMG? | Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates
and also look into the medical board of the state you would like to work in for their regulations. The quicker you look into it, the quicker you can work towards getting licsensed, there are certain sessions for examinations only held at certain times of the year, and also having your credentials verified could take a good deal of time, so it's best you figure these things out before you graduate. Hope this helps.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
If you don't have much luck with the U.S. try coming to Canada.
There will be hoops to go through but we are in need of doctors here and have been taking physicians in from other countries more lately.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
The only trouble with canada is the amount of red tape, I believe it's worse than the states. Ontario for instance has 1000 IMGs (international medical graduates) competing for something like 150 spots open to them. In the case of Canada you would first have to check out the medical council of canada Medical Council of Canada / Le Conseil médical du Canada, you would have to take the evaluating exam EE, after passing that, you would then move onto Qualifying Examinations I and II, and apply for post-graduate training. On top of that you would need to check with provincial regulations (i.e. college of physicians and surgeons of ontario CPSO), and if you have a specialization you would have to get it approved by the RCPSC (royal college of physicians and surgeons of canada). Either way wether you go to Canada or the states, it's important to get on top of the game as early as possible, you can apply for certain exams before graduating, and that's what's recommended.

The trouble with the profession is the amount of regulation. You won't be taught too much (if anything) about certification, and finding answers can be difficult - it's important to understand all the requirements and conditions ahead of time (i.e. that it's imporant to study and be prepared for your qualification exams, becuase beyond passing, they look at your scores in depth, also any fails will show up on your transcripts.)

Ontario has more red tape than is necessary, I have a friend who is from Manitoba, graduated and did his residency all in Ontario, passed all exams and could not get a OHIP billing number because he was a resident from Manitoba. He since has gone to New York state and is practicing there.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes. You can practice in the US but only IF you can pass the "boards" as they are now called. (I am assuming you are a US citizen or Permanent Resident)
Because of this new approach to all medical school graduates (even US ones), you are studying more sciences than your predecessors. This is to prepare you for your intensive study with Kaplan that is almost "de rigor" for you to get good grades on the boards.

Perhaps your biggest obstacle will be finding a good residence in a field that you like. Selection process is rigorous, so study hard and get good grades...

Prof. HB

bigjuan163usmc

May 18, 2007
Thanks alot you guys, those links help out alot. I was worried about doing 6 years over here for nothing. Peace.