passport?

jafo

Dec 16, 2006
Im sure this does not qualify as Legal advice .
But as far as original documents go . ( Im American . )
I keep only copys of Driver license , Passport , on me .
This goes for car documents as well .
It avoids any possible complications , when Police ask for them and are looking for a PROPINA . And wish to delay you for no good reason .

Just what I do !!!

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
If you are american you should walk around with some form of id, like a passport or at least a copy.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Do what JAFO says. Get photocopies and carry them with you. Nobody in this country is going to ask you for ID unless you are opening a bank account or changing a lot of money and need an ID>

HB

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
you might need to show your passport while checking in to a hotel. Otherwise i just travel with photo copies of that and my drivers licence.

I've only been asked from ID on my very first trip. I was on the back of a moto on the malecon in SD. Had i shut up and listened to my friend we probably wouldnt have had to pay the 300 peso bribe.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i remember only being ask for my passport at some hotel check-ins. in case you stiff them for your bill, they'll stop you at the airport from leaving or possibly don't allow you entry the next time you come.

for the identity theft angle. protect even your copies of your passport and other ID....one never knows..

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
One more

Do what JAFO says. Get photocopies and carry them with you. Nobody in this country is going to ask you for ID unless you are opening a bank account or changing a lot of money and need an ID>

HB

Two times in Bella Vista mall my Amex woudn't go thru. It seems, at least this is what the clerk said ,there are times when you need to show addtional ID--- so I showed my PP for ID.

N

naturelover

car photocopies and drivers license dont always work ....i had to come back home on a motorconcho to get my originals after the police stopped me

Feb 7, 2007
At banks you need a passport. At my bank now I only need a copy of the passport. You will also need ID at Vimenca to change money, send or receive. Caribe Express does not require it and has better exchange rate.

As far as car docuemntation, never cary a title with you in original - whoever has the original is teh owner. Copy is widely accepted. Insurance should be original. Anyhow, in rental cars you will get only copies of everything. Drivers License, carry the original, but show the copy. You can still show the original if necessary.