dating doctors?

jessann116

Dec 31, 2007
I am a member of a non-profit that raises $$ for a DR foundation. Throughout my involvement I have become good friends with a Dominican doctor (part of services offered by the Dominican foundation are medical in nature). We have known each other for over a year now.

No matter how many books I read or how much research I do on the DR, I am not Dominican, no matter how much I love the culture. Therefore, I am looking for insights about doctors in the DR. From my experiences it seems as though they are highly respected. Is this true? My friend doesn't seem to be making a lot of $$, is the medical field less profitable than here in the US? What about the concept of "ponerle los cuernos"? Since he is educated I like to think that he is more likely to be faithful... is this true or wishful thinking?

ANY insights about doctors in the DR would be helpful. Thanks!

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
"ponerle los cuernos"? Since he is educated I like to think that he is more likely to be faithful... is this true or wishful thinking?

If he is Dominican, them "Ponerle los Cuernos" will apply.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I am a member of a non-profit that raises $$ for a DR foundation. Throughout my involvement I have become good friends with a Dominican doctor (part of services offered by the Dominican foundation are medical in nature). We have known each other for over a year now.

No matter how many books I read or how much research I do on the DR, I am not Dominican, no matter how much I love the culture. Therefore, I am looking for insights about doctors in the DR. From my experiences it seems as though they are highly respected. Is this true? My friend doesn't seem to be making a lot of $$, is the medical field less profitable than here in the US? What about the concept of "ponerle los cuernos"? Since he is educated I like to think that he is more likely to be faithful... is this true or wishful thinking?

It appears you are confusing education with religious values, the wealthy men here in the DR are worst than the poor ones as far as womanizing, from what I have seen. This is not to say that they all do it, but there is a definite peer pressure for sure.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Yes, they make less money that in the US.
Yes, you are guilty of wishful thinking. Doctors are mere mortals and I work with them in Canada and I suspect they have a higher incidence of cheating and substance abuse than average. We have health programs for them. I've seen them at Christmas parties and picnics, they're surrounded by women who worship them and they usually have an excellent bed-side manner unless you are dating a stem-cell researcher. Then let me tell you they are perverts! LOL Too much time alone in a laboratory...

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
We have a close Dominican Doctor. He earns about $90,000 USD per year. Normally sees from 30 to 40 people per day, so we are told. He is a nice guy and we like him and his family very much. Though married he does have girlfriends.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
We have a close Dominican Doctor. He earns about $90,000 USD per year. Normally sees from 30 to 40 people per day, so we are told. He is a nice guy and we like him and his family very much. Though married he does have girlfriends.

Seeing 30-40 patients a day is not a practice-its' a car wash.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
Normally sees from 30 to 40 people per day including girlfriends

does he take La Pela ? :laugh:

jessann116

Dec 31, 2007
... by means of?

Janin

We first met when I went to the DR in Nov. of 06. I volunteered with the foundation for about 10 days and he became my "translator" of all things Dominican. I know, I know, that sounds soooo cheesy. But I promise I wasn't fooled... nothing happened and we remained friends. Then in the spring of 07 I took down a group of college students to volunteer and we again worked together as he is one of the main doctors for the foundation. He had been invaluable while planning the trip and was wonderful with the students, processing events with them, explaining the culture as best he could, etc. Long story short, we kept in contact... talking on msn, on the phone occasionally, etc. In the summer of 07 I went back down to the DR for one month to volunteer with the same Domincan foundation, having become good friends with the Dominicans that work there and the communities that they serve. I went back down again in July 07 and this doc and I went to a wedding together (a mutual friend got married). And that was the last time that we saw each other in person. He does not work for the same foundation anymore, he now works in a hospital setting, says that he is paid more there and needs the money. But we still keep in touch and may see each other in Feb. when I take down another group of college students.

SIDENOTE: He never been anything but a gentleman... he has done subtle things such as hold my hand or we would flirt lots when out dancing, but he never "put the moves on me" or made me feel uncomfortable or pressured.

Thoughts??

jessann116

Dec 31, 2007

I find this so fustrating! I know that it is due to my cultural lens and my upbringing... but I can't wrap my head around having a wife and family as well as girlfriends that everyone knows about. :ermm:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Check your math

40 a day X 250 days =10,000 patients
Divided into $90,000 per year = $9.00 charge per visit.

Cheaper than a car wash.
john

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
A Matter of Attitude

... but I can't wrap my head around having a wife and family as well as girlfriends that everyone knows about. :ermm:

Tranquila.
Mormons can do it and muslims can do it.
Work on it.

Janin

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I grew up in a family of a respected doctor and also interpret sometimes for programs that bring doctors from different countries and noticed they are all different. But in general to work with people one has to have a friendly outdoing nature. So, you can figure out yourself what consequences this will involve if he is Dominican. He probability has a more relaxed life in the DR than US because here they are under much more stress because of danger of having to go to court for any mistake at any point in time but he is not paid as much per hour of course. Enjoy!

Sep 19, 2005
40 a day X 250 days =10,000 patients
Divided into $90,000 per year = $9.00 charge per visit.

Cheaper than a car wash.
john

I guess that means his rent is free as is his electricity and any disposable items he uses inhis practice as well as any staff he might have...all free..

you really over simplified that math johnnnnny

but doctors do make very little campared to america...

I saw a doctor and she charged me maybe $30...where in america I would have been charged about $150 for the same visit.

for the OP

you cant live your life asking everyone else about who is good for you...figure it out for yourself...you would be amazed at the number of DOMINICANs that dont live like they are SUPPOSED TO!!!!

they should be banned from being dominican huh?? ha ha ha ha..

yeah I guess they did use more than one mold after all

give him the benefit of the doubt as you would anyone else anywhere else.

you arent a child are you?

didnt think so...when 1 plus 1 starts to equal three...you may stsrt to see problems coming..until then........like Faith Hill's husband says

Live like you were dying.. ha ha ha ha

bob

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Some people just can't can't change or simply refused to see outside world without american mindset. I think some people are just too innocent to leave USA.
warning: there is a cruel world outside.

johne: the doctor who makes 90K dollars / year here lives better than you who lives in a 4 million dollar house and spends all his life counting rent money from his 150 apartments.
AZB

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Some people just can't can't change or simply refused to see outside world without american mindset. I think some people are just too innocent to leave USA.
warning: there is a cruel world outside.

johne: the doctor who makes 90K dollars / year here lives better than you who lives in a 4 million dollar house and spends all his life counting rent money from his 150 apartments.
AZB

I don't doubt for a moment. I am sure you are right. Mearly doing the math.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
To the OP, if he is the same as any of the Dr's on TV in American shows, then he's probably got a couple of girls on the go, and that's just in the ER!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

Hi Jessann and welcome to DR1. You might want to read this interesting thread on culture deferences. We can't say 100% of Dominican men cheat but get to know him well and see what is acceptable to him and in his culture.