Any member ever got any "yola" experience

l3men2

Jan 2, 2008
Ok so i got in a Yola when i was 19 , any stories to be shared among members who also made the "Odisea":surprised

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A yola is a small boat, but in this context it means the boats that make illegal crossings to Puerto Rico. Odisea is odyssey:
dictionary.com said:
a long series of wanderings or adventures, esp. when filled with notable experiences, hardships, etc.
13men2, it would be really interesting to hear your story.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'd love to hear the story but 13men2 if you're not legal now don't tell us anything which would identify you. And exhibit the same cautions on your other thread, too. Me probably being over-protective...........;)

l3men2

Jan 2, 2008
I'd love to hear the story but 13men2 if you're not legal now don't tell us anything which would identify you. And exhibit the same cautions on your other thread, too. Me probably being over-protective...........;)

HA thanks but yes i bacame a legal citizens more than ten years ago.
Well it seems the only one with a story and real reasons why we do it in here might be me.Come on guys !!! Don't be ashamed:pirate:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
He means he might be the only person on DR1 with first hand experience and insight, perhaps?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Unique

HA thanks but yes i bacame a legal citizens more than ten years ago.
Well it seems the only one with a story and real reasons why we do it in here might be me.Come on guys !!! Don't be ashamed:pirate:

This is not the kind of material we get to read often. Would really appreciate it if you would share YOUR story with us.
Bringing to you frankencense, gold, myrhr and Presidente!

l3men2

Jan 2, 2008
Here is My story (Looooonnngg)

Ok guys this will be long so chill relax and enjoy.You will also find many bad grammar apologies to those native english speaking for smashing your language.

Remember growing up in the dr as early as i can remember i was in third grade attending school first and second shift.The school system in the dr you go to school at 8:00 am to 12-1:00 pm ....or second shift which is from 2:00 pm to 5-6:00 pm well my mom had me in school in both shift meaning that what i learned in the morning i also went thru the same in the afternoon.Crazy but it paid of because the following year i was promoted to fifth grade:glasses:

Remember from septimo to cuarto de bachiller (7th grade to senior year ) i was always considered a very smart but contradicting and troublesome kid.Was bouncing from school to school because of my behavior.
During this period i did or my mon supported me on every course i could find from english class, electrician, mecanografia (typewriting which at the time it was considered a trade), and electronics which i did finish after 2 years and a military vocacional school.

By my senior year i was already paying my own tutition and a little worried about the future and here is why.

I did not want to the Universidad (college ) as all relatives and friends i saw them strugling even after been thru college and getting their degree,it seems somehow after you get out of college if you are not from a well known family or in politics you will not land a good job and i was in neither .By then i was doing some money doing tv repairs .

Then i said ok it seems to really make it i will have more chances in another country but the sanki idea was not my choice so i decided to go full time for sports,Almost achiving my goal by getting a scholarship in a uS school everything felt apart.

I was a little more than average in sports and to really make it in the Dr you hacve to be way over average and a little wasn't enough.Well one day after coming from the last cut in SD from the los prados i was trully down.I remember getting the guagua fron Sd to La Romana and was just in a limbo all the way, when i got home just stayed there for about 20 minutes and when to see a guy in the neighbourhood known to know every step for the yola thing.

Well i asked all questions like price which at the time was about RD5500 and how long ,where etc.Well at that time i set my plan on how to get the money selling my tv,and other stuff,he said he would also get his money toghether and we were to make the trip together.

That night after talking with him all night i went to bed at around 1:00 am,The following morning my older brother who at the time owned a colmado woke me up and asked if i could go to the almacen and gave me RD7500:glasses:

Right there i just got on a motoconcho right to my friend house,told him i got my fare, well he told me where to go and ask for a guy which i did and from there i arrived at miches that same night.And got my contacts setup.Up untill then i knew it would be a long journey as i did not have any clothes nor enought money for a hotel.Lucky enough i did remember going to El seibo to play basketball i met a guy who was from miches and we became very good friends, after asking around i found him living with his mom who by the way was a very nice woman.I told them what was i doing in town and they just wished luck,he did hook me with some clothing and his mom said i could go and eat there anytime.

I spent 16 days in a little hotel there while the "viaje" gets setup , don't really know how i survived but it was not at least as i heard the people have to be in the woods for many days.

At this point i knew my family were looking for me all over the country, i did call my mom and told her i was not going to back up and to my brother to forgive me for the money,Well the day finally came and i almost cried.THIS WAS NOT A YOLA, was boat and many people hesitated to get in , when we finally got in the yola i remember falling sleepDon't really know how i felt sleep), it was about 11:30 pm when we got on the yola and at about 5:00 am i woke up to just see the real nightmare i was in,Some were vomiting ,others were praying crying etc in total was over 100 i belive it was 110, 116 can't really remember but it was a lot of people.

Out of all those people i remember about 4-5 that were really helping out getting water out and clearly remember a guy in particular that was just laughing and making fun of us and din't wanna help ,Note that all others were not helping because they couldn't if they get their head up the start vomiting so it was basically about 4-5 guys.We even got into trying to throw the guy out as he said he would not do a thing.

Well the more water we got out the more water was coming in everytime a big wave hit us on the side.And yes i could see sharks and dolphins.

I knew how desperate were those people trying to leave the country when we saw something like a cargo ship and half of the people including me wre trying to get noticed and rescued.while others were saying no and trying to avoid been seen.

At times i really gave up and was just waiting the time.As i thought we were not going to make it.

Some people are fortunate enough to get calm waters but it was not just that day,at least is what i saw.

We were using some small buckets to get water out but it was hard to keep up until we convinced the captain to give up one of those big drums he had.They had them full of gasoline but this one was already empty,He didn't want to as he said they use it to fill it up with water for wight on their way back.(some trips they just abandon the yola while others when is a good yola or good motors they do return for another trip).Well that drum made a difference and got a grim from me as i saw a floor almost dry,that soon ended as three people used to lift the drum to dump the water out when a big giat wave took it away,i almost cried (in fact i did cry :eek:)

One funy thing is before getting in the yola thing i used to hear something called "El Desecheo" and in the yola the captain was talking about making a stop in "El Desecheo" ,Well i made my mind to when they make that stop i would not get on the yola again and instead wait to be rescued there, My imagination of "El Desecheo was a little island with sandy waters and a few palm trees.
When i asked when will we be there i heard the captain said well we are "there", i looked around and it was just water, Sadness took over my face again.Now i heard people say "el desecheo" is just a place in the map in between pr and dr others say is some rocks that sometimes gets overfladed and you can't really see them.

Luckily at that time the water was really calm and i was calm too.At about 6:00pm we could see the pr lights reflections and everybody was happy.....The captain then stays around waiting for darkness and at around 9:00 he gets both motors on and goes full throtle, we did hit ground at around 9:00pm and that was caos to see all those people running in the water to nowhere.

Now here was my other problem i finally made it but really had nowhere to go!!!!!!!!!
Again luck knocked again and during the time in the hotel i met a man about 50 yrs who was actually cousin to the guy i paid the money to.He told me he had his daugter as well as his sister living in pr and if i helping get to where he could be picked up that i could come with him,the problem he was kinda like handycap.

soon after we arrived police sirens are heard everywhere and you really don't know where to go and panic arrives again, i saw a big mountain and told him that is where we were heading, i almost had to drag him and when we finally made it to the top i just laid exausted in the dirt untill around 6:00am next day and is really where i got nervous because it was daylight and we could easily be seen.

sneacking around the bushes and trees we found a guy who assured he would call the relatives if given $50.00 , I did not have any money but my frien had some $60 , i told the guy i would give in not only $50 but all $60 but with one condition , $20 now and $40 upon pick up. he acepted.

He said it would comeback with news but something told me to hide somewhere else where we could see him coming but he would not see us, well 15 minutes later we see a police looking around the area....We kept hidden untill calm and at about 1:00 pm hunger prevailed(note that after all vomiting in the yola we really had nothing in the stomach)
I told the old man to stay hidden and i would go for food,seens were some houses around i went to the first one and asked for something to eat from the backyard, Also told them the truth that we arrived last night and a friend also needed something to eat, They gave me not only food for me but for my friend as well (There is good people and bad people everywherer).They explained that they could not do more because they get fined if found helping a "mojado",I thank for the food and the advice to stay hidden.

At around 5:00pm i told my friend to give me his siter phone number and i would see where i could call from (I was before that payphones in the surraunding areas are usually scanned).Asked like three different houses if i could use their phone and the answer was no we have no phone here (I could clearly see the phone line from the pole to thei home hehe),When i got to the fourth house the guy did ask me to get closer and did but was like a scared dog ready to run.He told me that he could not help me but pointed to a house and told me there was a couple there that could help me , as my last resource i took the chance and went there, When i got there a man in his 50 60's got out and dragged me to the backyard, i was astunished.He said i could not be seen and i trusted them, after i told him the story and gave him the phone number He then came with some food and told me to eat and give to my friend and that he already spoke to my friend sister and she will be there at 7:00 pm he told me to go back to my friend and come back at 6:50.

I did and when we got there she was already there:cheeky:
After hugs and kisses we thank the couple (Which i always wanted to go back and thank them again but could never remember where exactly was that place.)

We got on the trunk of the car until got out of town and then headed to the city where his sister and daughter lived.

The story really continues but my fingers now hurt...If you find this story interesting i would continue sharing it with you guys.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
This story is fabricated. Sorry, but it is. Nice piece of fiction, though. Maybe you can get a job writing novela scripts.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
This story is fabricated. Sorry, but it is. Nice piece of fiction, though. Maybe you can get a job writing novela scripts.

Even if it is - and I am not going to pass judgement because I honestly do not know if it is or not - it sure makes for a very interesting read.

Nice change from the "do you know so and so from Hotel whatever?" or "how do I exchange my money?" or "Can someone tell me the name of this song that goes like la la la..."

Please, do continue with your story... I, personally, feel it is a compelling read!

Marlie

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
A brother of my wife's brother in law went to the US via a boat ride directly from the DR to Miami. I think it cost him around US6000. I saw a picture of him with another family member in NY. I don't doubt that they there are more than one boat invloved and it's done at night.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Digo lo mosmo....

Even if it is - and I am not going to pass judgement because I honestly do not know if it is or not - it sure makes for a very interesting read.

Nice change from the "do you know so and so from Hotel whatever?" or "how do I exchange my money?" or "Can someone tell me the name of this song that goes like la la la..."

Please, do continue with your story... I, personally, feel it is a compelling read!

Marlie
AMEN to that!!..If we notice SOME of the "great" threads started lately, even if this guy is not telling the truth, it makes for a good read.

Btw:, if it's true, I hope you paid your brother 20 times what you stole from him...That is if he still talks to you!.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I want to read part 2, even if its total fiction. This guy has captured my attention.
Please write in details. This is like those stories from maxim magazine.
AZB

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002

Could you please give some more specific reasons why this story is fabricated?
I heard stories weirder than this and I still remember the folks from here and now they are calling me from the US of America.

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006

Interesting story, and please continue. Berzin, why do you think it is phony baloney? Sounds similar to other yola runs.