Water polution in the Carribean?

EdSib

Jan 3, 2008
Hi,
With all the sewage problems, I was wondering how clean the water is in the Sea? I love to snorkel. There seems to be a lot of coral in the area from the pics I've seen. Is the coral dying because of the polution?
I'm looking at renting a room in a private villa long term. I'm not sure just where on the beach the villa is just yet.
I don't want to go to the expense of moving there only to find out that the water is so poluted you can't snorkel in it. You can't snorkel and keep the water out of your mouth.
How far from town would I have to get to be away from the major effects? Do most people there drink bottle water?

Ed

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
pollution

It all depends on where you want to swim. I've swam in alot of places and never been sick. Don't swim near any river after a rainfall, you'll get sick. I try to swim at least two hours a day. Let me know where you intend on swimming....

EdSib

Jan 3, 2008
thanks for the reply

It all depends on where you want to swim. I've swam in alot of places and never been sick. Don't swim near any river after a rainfall, you'll get sick. I try to swim at least two hours a day. Let me know where you intend on swimming....

The place has a pool. But I'm not sure of the exact location yet. I just love to snorkel in clear clean water. It's also good to snorkel with a bud. So if interested, let me know and I'll look you up when I get there.

Ed

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Ed: Yes, most people drink bottled water. Although there are some who don't (mostly because they can't afford it) and some who have built in filtration coming from the tap. Those with sand cisterns are able to use local water because the natural filtering of water through at least 12" of sand will get rid of amoeba cysts.

As for the coral dying...there's debate about whether that is due to rising ocean temps or pollution or the combo. The water in Juan Dolio LOOKS clean yet our coral in many areas is dead and bleaching. Matilda used to be a dive instructor locally and could probably tell you more about this if you post to her.