Doggie Problems

Aug 21, 2007
I am looking for a dog lover with a big heart. I live in Perla Marina, near Sosua. A German man who has a house down the street was recently diagnosed with brain cancer, necessitating a probably permanent return to Germany. His neighbor was left with the responsibility of taking care of his two wonderful dogs, a male and female English mastiff. He has a smallish yard and two watch dogs already, so I agreed to "try" them.

After two days, I am disappointed to see that this won't work for me, either. I have a 14 pound pekanese/poodle who thinks HE owns the house and yard. Because he is so small and nervous, the relationship with the mastiffs is not blossoming.

So-Steven Bowcutt, the original caretaker for the German couple and I are looking for a good, loving home for these sweet dogs. Somewhere in the hills, where you might want good protection and have a big yard would be ideal. However, the original owners had a small house and yard. For them, the dogs were "house dogs." These dogs will both love you and protect you.

The dogs, Leo and Jeannie, are really nice. They are well behaved and respond to sit, stay, come, and NO in English, Spanish, and German. They are loving and devoted. They will sit just off the porch near wherever I happen to be. They are gentle. BUT- they will bark and raise their hair and tales when a stranger is coming on the property or is at the gate. Their size alone will ward off intruders. Their deep bark lets strangers know that this is no pussy cat.

Dr. Bob has been their vet. He came and checked them before I brought them to my house. Basically, they are in good shape. They just need to be around people and to have a home to watch.

Anyone who knows mastiffs knows that they are referred to as gentle giants who can intimidate without even being aggressive. But, if the time comes to protect the owner, watch out.

PLEASE, if anyone is interested in these dear dogs or if you know someone who might be interested in adopting them, do not hesitate to contact myself via a PM or by phone at (829) 686-1581 or Steven Bowcutt at (809) 545-6444.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Wow, would I ever like to have them if I could.
Kool dogs with a great attitude.

PS: I may have worded that wrong.
I cannot have more dogs, specially of that size, but if I lived in a house with a yard, I would want them in New York minute.

Aug 21, 2007
They are GREAT dogs. I am in the house now. They are lying just outside the door where I am sitting, "watching" over me. Last night, they slept on the patio right on the other side of my bedroom door. This was just after coming to stay at my house. It shows how much they are dedicated to the people who care for them!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
They are GREAT dogs. I am in the house now. They are lying just outside the door where I am sitting, "watching" over me. Last night, they slept on the patio right on the other side of my bedroom door. This was just after coming to stay at my house. It shows how much they are dedicated to the people who care for them!
English Mastiffs and Bull Mastiffs were used by game wardens in the old times in England, when killings the King's animals was punishable by death, so if the poachers were caught, they might try to kill the game warden, as they had nothing to lose.
The Mastiffs, despite being such mellow friendly animals, were the dog of choice to protect the game wardens.

Aug 21, 2007
One more thing. I hadn't mentioned it, as it wasn't important to me. But- apparently, the dogs come with "papers".

Kat1144

Nov 23, 2007
I own a Neo Mastiff and I can say he is the BEST pet ever.. very loyal and won't kill a fly. My daughter & son (1 yr & 4 yr olds) sit on him as if he was a pony and he just loves the attention...

What a dog life!!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I am looking for a dog lover with a big heart. I live in Perla Marina, near Sosua. A German man who has a house down the street was recently diagnosed with brain cancer, necessitating a probably permanent return to Germany. His neighbor was left with the responsibility of taking care of his two wonderful dogs, a male and female English mastiff. He has a smallish yard and two watch dogs already, so I agreed to "try" them.

After two days, I am disappointed to see that this won't work for me, either. I have a 14 pound pekanese/poodle who thinks HE owns the house and yard. Because he is so small and nervous, the relationship with the mastiffs is not blossoming.

So-Steven Bowcutt, the original caretaker for the German couple and I are looking for a good, loving home for these sweet dogs. Somewhere in the hills, where you might want good protection and have a big yard would be ideal. However, the original owners had a small house and yard. For them, the dogs were "house dogs." These dogs will both love you and protect you.

The dogs, Leo and Jeannie, are really nice. They are well behaved and respond to sit, stay, come, and NO in English, Spanish, and German. They are loving and devoted. They will sit just off the porch near wherever I happen to be. They are gentle. BUT- they will bark and raise their hair and tales when a stranger is coming on the property or is at the gate. Their size alone will ward off intruders. Their deep bark lets strangers know that this is no pussy cat.

Dr. Bob has been their vet. He came and checked them before I brought them to my house. Basically, they are in good shape. They just need to be around people and to have a home to watch.

Anyone who knows mastiffs knows that they are referred to as gentle giants who can intimidate without even being aggressive. But, if the time comes to protect the owner, watch out.

PLEASE, if anyone is interested in these dear dogs or if you know someone who might be interested in adopting them, do not hesitate to contact myself via a PM or by phone at (829) 686-1581 or Steven Bowcutt at (809) 545-6444.

I don't think we can help though would love to but can you tell me how old the 2 dogs are and whether they are related to each other?

Aug 21, 2007
I have not seen the papers to know exactly how old the dogs are. Dr. Bob said the female is around 2 1/2 years old and the male is 8 or so. I am not 100% sure, but I would be very surprised if they are related.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Be careful about the dog lover who offers to adopt. Dog fighting is a popular betting activity for quite a few people on the island and big dogs like that would be very attractive to some for the wrong reason. Even if they are gentle now and don't off to fight other dogs remember that ANY dog can be turned mean and aggressive if the person training it doesn't have any scruples.

I wish I was still there - I would take them in a heartbeat. Good luck in finding an appropriate adoption.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Be careful about the dog lover who offers to adopt. Dog fighting is a popular betting activity for quite a few people on the island and big dogs like that would be very attractive to some for the wrong reason. Even if they are gentle now and don't off to fight other dogs remember that ANY dog can be turned mean and aggressive if the person training it doesn't have any scruples.

I wish I was still there - I would take them in a heartbeat. Good luck in finding an appropriate adoption.

A very good point... it is such a responsibility rehoming any animal even a high value pedigree puppy and I believe you need to get to know the new potential owners as well as possible before you entrust them with a beloved four legged friend.

Aug 21, 2007
Having had mastiffs myself over the years, how well I know and understand your point, Espatsooner and Whirleybird. Because of their size. people make wrong assumptions about the level of agression of mastiffs. They mistake a lamb for a lion.

Your advice is well taken and we will screen potential new owners with the utmost care!

Please help me by spreading the word about them.

Thanks-
Lindsey

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
They're not that big now... Are they???

hercules.jpg

Aug 21, 2007
Photos

I took a few photos of Jeannie and Leo this morning. Jeannie is a bit camera shy. She is the darker of the two. I only have one photo of her. The other three are Leo.

Here is the link to view them. Sorry, I don't know how to download them directly to the thread. Perhaps someone who knows how to do this could do so.

.Mac Web Gallery

Lindsey

Kat1144

Nov 23, 2007
Pichardo ... your picture is a Neo Mastiff.. my mastiff is like that one just a bit smaller. I would like to share pics of him but I am having a hard time.

I have passed the word around to my DR friends and family regarding these 2 mastiffs.. Thanks Lindsey for your warm heart in caring for these 4 legged friends.