Bringing liquor back to the US

BlanquitoDeNYC

Apr 15, 2006
Does anybody know what quantities of liquor are allowed to be brought back to the US? I've never brought anything back from anywhere because I just can't be bothered with US Customs nonsense... the same reason I always check baggage, because I can't be bothered putting toiletries in small clear plastic containers.

Last time I wanted to bring back some rum and mamajuana, but I didn't bother.. I don't want to make the same mistake this time.

drny

Jun 12, 2007
I've brought in as much as half a dozen bottles of rum plus an empty mamajuana and a couple of Presidentes at the same time without any problem.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I've brought in as much as half a dozen bottles of rum plus an empty mamajuana and a couple of Presidentes at the same time without any problem.

Last trip I had 3 liters of rum, 3 liters of mamajuana (mixed), 2 liters of mamajuana (roots, etc.) filled with water, and 6 bottles of Presidente. As luck would have it my luggage was inspected at customs in USA (EWR). The only thing the inspector seemed to be concerned about was if I had any fruits or vegetables. A quick inspection and I was on my way.

Once I had a problem bringing a bottle of just the mamajuana twigs back home. At the pre-inspection in the DR the inspector told me to go buy a bottle of cheap liquor to fill the bottle and I would have no problem bringing the bottle to the US.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I went through a lot of debate on this subject on this board a few months back. There are those who insist you can only bring one liter. The U.S. Customs site has regulations that allow for up to FIVE LITERS, but there is a caveat about "your point of entry".

I consistantly fly into Fort Lauderdale with (6) 750ml bottles of assorted rum purchased in the duty free. NEVER a question on RUM. This past trip, I brought a heavy duty vinyl bag (a give-away from the duty free on a previous trip) and packed it with five bottles and put the 6th in my backpack.......I have never had to pay duty.

I claim it on the Customs form, answer their questions politely and move through the line, no hassle. Good luck!

BlanquitoDeNYC

Apr 15, 2006
Thanks for the help. I was interested in bringing some Mamajuana back last time as well, but I was even less sure about that. I'm not even concerned about the duties (although I definitely don't want to give Tio Samuel any more of my money), I just want to bring back the rum and mamajuana.