Hotel and Car Rental in the Santiago area...

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
Hi! Thanks for taking your time to read this message. Well, I am hoping to get a little help in the Santiago area (prefferably around the monumento). Five of us will be traveling there (if everything goes as planned) and we are looking to stay in a hotel and was wondering what some of you good folks would recommend. There are 2 adults and three kids, a new born and two that are 9 and 10. Now, I am looking for something that has some activity for the kids of course and maybe for us. But we won't be there too much of the time as we planned to mingle outside as much as possible. Also, if you can lead me in the right direction with a nice car rental place too...that would be sweet!

Ok, so there it is. I'm looking for a nice hotel (not too expensive) that may have a little to do inside (maybe a pool etc..) for the kids and a car rental place around the monumento area. Thanks in advance for your help.

Also, I know could have looked online but there is something special about listening to folks who either have already done it or who are locals. Thanks again!

DR_DEFENDER

P.S incase it helps we will be there for about 2wks.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Car rentals

There are lot's of car rental options. On-line, you will mostly find the big brand names that will charge you an arm and a leg.
At the Cibao airport, there are a dozen locally owned places. It was recommended to me on theis site to use Savings renta-car located at the airport. Tel 809-586-0217. Ask for Felix. He is the station manager. I got great service and a great price. Their cars are not new. But they all work fine and are a lot less expensive.
I don't typically stay in hotels when I am there. So I couldn't help in that area

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
There are lot's of car rental options. On-line, you will mostly find the big brand names that will charge you an arm and a leg.
At the Cibao airport, there are a dozen locally owned places. It was recommended to me on theis site to use Savings renta-car located at the airport. Tel 809-586-0217. Ask for Felix. He is the station manager. I got great service and a great price. Their cars are not new. But they all work fine and are a lot less expensive.
I don't typically stay in hotels when I am there. So I couldn't help in that area

Thank you, Stewart! And what were their rates for the car rental? I know you can't give me an exact rate but give me an estimate if possible. I am looking to get a van or an SUV. Thanks again!

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
Also, I have been checking online for hotels and the lowest rate I get is around $100 a night. Is that right? If it is so then that seems a little hight unless it's talking DR100 but I doubt it as that would be too cheap. What gives???

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Car rates

We first rented a 7 passenger Montero that was $93/day. The we got a Sentra the was $50/day then we got a CRV that was $60/day/ All of those were the credit card prices. If you choose to pay cash, subtract $10/day.
The price included insurance.
As for hotels, $100/day seems high. But they have a Dominican price and a tourist price for everything. You are probably getting quoted the tourist price. I just don't stay in enough hotels to give you a better idea.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
With that big a crowd I think you only have two options: Gran Almirante or Marriot.

Otherwise, you could think Platino or Aloha Sol--but they do not have pools. (I think)

Another option is to try the new hotel on Rafael Vidal...forget the name, but I am sure some poster will have it for you.

As far as a car rental...there are MORE than a dozen places just outside the airport. Maybe you could tell a taxi you want to rent a car and pay him his RD$450 taxi fee into town just for showing you the rental cars....??

Good Luck...

HB

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Since most of the hotels don't have pools, you can take the kids to kaskada park, a nice water park in Santiago or take your kids to the game room in Plaza internacional or even take a short drive to Jarabacoa for some outdoor stuff.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Check out Hotel Holdelphia. It is downtown by La Sirena. Nice place, 70US per night i think. Hotel Rotunda, 350rd a night, not fancy, pretty local. Also has ac rooms, new in back for 700 with secure parking. No pool, but the 700rd rooms are pretty nice. Thats about 23 US. On Av Feb 27. The street outside is real DR, street vendors, fruit everywhere, etc. Maybe not great for little kids.