Day Pass at Boca Chica or Juan Dolio AI

MRC1961

Feb 2, 2008
My husband and I will be in Santa Domingo just for a day before heading out on a cruise. I'd like to purchase a day pass and spend a Saturday at an AI. We'll have a rental car and will be driving from SDQ. (Yes, I've read all the warnings about driving :) Do the resorts offer free parking?

Does anyone know which AI's offer Day Passes? I spoke to a couple of resorts in Bayahibe but have decided that is just too far for a day trip.

Thanks in advance.

Jennifer

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
R u on the Legend of the Seas?

We took that for NY.

PM if u want details of what we did in St. Lucia (don't miss out on the Pitons), Martinique and Barbados.

There are few AI with daypasses in BC

Don Juan right on the beach
Dominican Bay the reception is few blocks from the beach and U walk down on a private walk-way
Hamaca also right on the beach

I have been to all 3 and to my taste,,, food and drinks are about the same in quality,, if food is important to you,,,don't go with the AI and pick Hamaca's Pelicano,,,, they have better food but the beach still BC.

U can drive for another 15-20 minutes to Juan Dolio and pick the AI at Capella, Coral or Talanquera, Playa Esmeralda or Co-op Marena,,,,,, they are all around the same price and food/drinks are about 2-3* ratings for ALL of them.

Capella and Coral have the new beach,,,, is the only difference..... google them all and u will be able to get prices for their DP or u can try Colonial Tours Operator Morelia, Mexico ( I think,,,, not sure) they have a link with DP and room rates for these places.

Good luck on ur cruise.

CB

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I go to the Hamaca about once a year for the daypass. AI are pretty much all the same. My kids love the place. I believe the day pass cost about $50 for adults $35 for kids.

MRC1961

Feb 2, 2008
Thanks for the info

Thanks, that's great news. Do you know if we need to reserve in advance or can we just show up and purchase the day pass?

chiquittabanana, we're on the Legend. I've been to Barbados and St. Lucia before, but it is my first time to all the other stops on the itinerary. We excited!

Jennifer

Frisky

Jan 4, 2008
hamaca

I was at don juan for a week in november. I stoped in at hamaca to ask about a day pass, and I noticed alot of construction going on there. I did not get a pass because of all the comotion. That was 3 months ago so it may be better now though. I would sugest you ask them to let you look around the resort before you pay your hard earned money to spend the day there if the place is still a mess. Just my 2 cents worth any how.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i've never undertood the concept of day passes. someone please explain the advantages versus just going to the public beach.
the only reason i can think of is less people....

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
i've never undertood the concept of day passes. someone please explain the advantages versus just going to the public beach.
the only reason i can think of is less people....

A day pass at an AI gives you all the benefits of someone who is staying there except for the room. Unlimited food and alcohol as well as access to the beach.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
no wonder the AI's are crowded on sundays with families...free food and drink...

MRC1961

Feb 2, 2008
Thanks for all the info

Thanks, we'll be giving it a try on Saturday.

I hear a lot about how crowded everything is on Sunday ... and how it is so much less crowded during the week. What about Saturdays?

Jennifer

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Thanks, we'll be giving it a try on Saturday.

I hear a lot about how crowded everything is on Sunday ... and how it is so much less crowded during the week. What about Saturdays?

Jennifer

I like to go during the week. It is alot less crowded. Some busy days you can wait at the counter for an hour or more. I dont know about Saturdays.

DomLou

Jun 10, 2004
From what I have seen going to the AI's, Saturday is certainly busy, but not as busy as Sunday. As Boca Chica is so close to the Capital, many work on Saturday, but Sunday is free and clear, thus the insurgence of people!

We are going to try during the week during Semana Santa. Probably on the Tuesday while most folks still have to work. Hopefully not too crowded.

Valerie617

Feb 14, 2008
Jennifer - The Hamaca is probably the closest AI. The beach is calm and beautiful. If you are driving and getting a daypass, just let the guard know and you'll be directed to the parking area.

There are two places to eat lunch. In the center of the property there's a very large restaurant covered by a thatched roof - it's a buffet and there are so many choices of food. The food is really good. On the beach, there's pizza all afternoon, bar on sand and a bar at the pool on the beach.

There's a smaller place for lunch on the beach side, usually BBQ stuff and a lot of sides. Unlimited food and drinks.

They are building a new pool on the beach, closer to where the wall is that separates the resort from the local beach.

MRC1961

Feb 2, 2008
Had a nice day at Hamaca

We went on the 9th of February one day pre-cruise. We're from the US and drove from Santa Domingo (wouldn't recommend it for the faint of heart, but am glad we did.)

We got to the resort about 10:30 and found out it would be 11:00 before they started giving out bracelets for day passes. We just had a seat in the lobby area. A few minutes before 11:00 they took our money and gave us the wristbands. It was all painless. We stayed the full day (actually noticed as we were leaving that we had overstayed our day pass by a few minutes!).

It was crowded but not overly so. We found beach chairs and were able to get ones under sunshades in the afternoon. The new pool was not opened on that day, but was filled with water and being treated for opening. I expect that it opened a couple of days later.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Jennifer

nctrader

Oct 8, 2007
Jennifer - The Hamaca is probably the closest AI. The food is really good.

I would say to the contrary that the food is really good at the Hamaca. I've been there a few times with as recent as yesterday and the food quality is poor in the restaurant. The chicken was undercooked, the pork was like rubber and the rice/beef dish looked better than it tased.

If you go to the Hamaca, you're better off with the grill (ie. pizza, french fries, hotdog, etc....)

For the money, if you're just looking for the Beach fun, you're better off at the Pelican Restuarant or Aura House in Juan Dolio.