Las Galeras Main beach - Playita

rogerpd

Feb 6, 2008
Hi everyone
Just visited the DR for the first time and totally fell in love with Las Galeras. My wife and I would like to buy some property in Las Galeras on the beach to build a house where we could retire in (hopefully) 5-6 years.
There seems to be no real action propertywise on the main beach going towards the big hotel on the end, but quite a bit of constructions after the Villa Serena where we were staying.
The little beach of Playita seems an ideal spot, but there seem to be large tracts of land walled off, and some kind of large development up on the hill totally abandoned.
The local people encountered on the beach didn't seem to know much about the owners.
Does anybody have an idea of what is going on there, and who to approach to see if they were ready to sell some of it. Also, what the normal price would be to pay for such land ?

Thanks for any help or information you might have.

stormy

Nov 12, 2004
Property in Las Galeras called Subaquatic Resort

With the caveat that this information was given to me first hand by an individual who claimed to be overseeing the property and handling inquiries - and is therefore a little questionable, the following is what I was told a year ago when inquiring about the land. The project is called "Subaquatic Resort"; it was started about 5 years ago by a group of investors (about 10-12) who subsequently determined they did not want to make further investments in the project; it was slated to be a hotel with a villa on the grounds. There are about 43,000 sq. meters in total consisting of several different titles. The investor group wants $4 million for the land and the buildings and as of a year ago wouldn't take less --- according to their "representative". The building layout is crazy and after investigating each building, it seemed clear that they would have to be torn down ---- so you would be paying about 100/sq meter for land. I agree with you that the location is beautiful, but I would guess there are some title issues as well as bank liens. Having lived here in the D.R. a few years, the only sound advice I can give is "go slow" when considering buying situations such as this. They are usually fraught with unresolvable problems. After much research and many trips to Las Galeras, I did find and purchase some beautiful land on the Bay with a title and now with des linde. If you are interested in more information on this particular area I am referring to, please email me directly and I would be happy to share what I know.

cocoleka

Sep 7, 2007
land in samana

Greetings,

I too would be very interested in the price per sq m for land with deslinde on the Samana bay.
could you please contact me or tell me how to reach you by email or telephone?

rogerpd

Feb 6, 2008
thank you for the info - seems complicated but not hopeless !

do you have any idea how I could get in contact with the rep for the investors ? is the development the only owner on that site ? my memory (and pics taken at the time) show the abandoned development up on the hill, and not directly on the beach - there seemed to be two walled off properties, one smaller on the beach to the left of the access road, one directly adjacent to it, much larger.

Are these also a development ? Same investors ?

clvass

Feb 14, 2008
www.youtube.com
Realestate

My husband and I were just there in Dec. We took a horse tour of the area. There appears to be a lot of properties just abandonned all over Las Galeras. Our guide told us to be prepared to spend a million dollars - big properties, but not on the beach. A realtor we met was Simon and I believe his partner was Ruben(they also operate r-azor tours in Las Galeras). Very nice people. We have video of that area. YouTube - Samana DR by horseback We were staying at the Gran Paradise (end of the road) just beyond Las Galeras. It's a beautiful area.