SOS SD residents, my laptops were stolen!

monn

Aug 8, 2007
Iv been here just over 2 months and Im finding out how crazy this place is! My neighbor burglarized me and stole 2 laptops and a Palm. Anyway I managed to get 1 of the laptops back, for a measly 2500RDS. OS and softwarewise the laptop is disabled now, I'll have to do a "Complete PC Restore", but I ofcourse don't have a Vista Ultimate DVD, for this procedure a Product Key is not required. I am well aware there are other ways to go about a complete restore, but using a DVD is by far the best and mostly recomended. Can anyone out there lend or rent me a Ultimate DVD for a day? Please PM me if you can.

andrewc52002

Feb 6, 2007
Iv been here just over 2 months and Im finding out how crazy this place is! My neighbor burglarized me and stole 2 laptops and a Palm. Anyway I managed to get 1 of the laptops back, for a measly 2500RDS. OS and softwarewise the laptop is disabled now, I'll have to do a "Complete PC Restore", but I ofcourse don't have a Vista Ultimate DVD, for this procedure a Product Key is not required. I am well aware there are other ways to go about a complete restore, but using a DVD is by far the best and mostly recomended. Can anyone out there lend or rent me a Ultimate DVD for a day? Please PM me if you can.

A "complete PC Restore" has to pe performed with the same copy you installed. There's an activation step which doesn't allow you to install the same copy on different PC. So, another "Ultimate DVD" (as you called it) won't work.
Good luck

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
What do you mean, it's "disabled".
Wiped out?
Formatted?
As mentioned above, you will not be able to just borrow someone's disc, not to mention needing all the drivers for your particular machine.

Hope you put your neighbour's azz in jail, and keep him/her there, even if it costs.
Some things are worth the cost, and this is one of them.

monn

Aug 8, 2007
Chad Harris (from VISTAHEADS.com)

Re: Complete PC Restore in OEM Vista

What you need to do is to borrow a Vista DVD (Ultimate, Enterprise, or
Business) from someone in order to do the Complete PC Restore from the Win
RE environment, i.e. from the Recovery Options Menu from the Recovery link
of the Vista DVD:

http://www.windowsvista.windowsreins...rtup/part1.htm

A Guide to Vista Backup Technologies/Complete PC Restore

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...007/09/Backup/

That's the only way you're going to do a Complete PC Restore. You won't
need to use a Product Key to do this.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Chad Harris (from VISTAHEADS.com)

Re: Complete PC Restore in OEM Vista

What you need to do is to borrow a Vista DVD (Ultimate, Enterprise, or
Business) from someone in order to do the Complete PC Restore from the Win
RE environment, i.e. from the Recovery Options Menu from the Recovery link
of the Vista DVD:

http://www.windowsvista.windowsreins...rtup/part1.htm

A Guide to Vista Backup Technologies/Complete PC Restore

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...007/09/Backup/

That's the only way you're going to do a Complete PC Restore. You won't
need to use a Product Key to do this.
Hey Monn,
Did you happen to notice the question above your last post?
Would be more than happy to assist you in any way I can, but can't do it blind.
I'm sure that I'm not a true geek like Chad (mentioned above), but I do fix puters as a hobby and I recently stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.......

monn

Aug 8, 2007
Rocky thank you for hanging in there with me.
In reply to all the above replies, I felt it would be most convincing if I quoted one of my peers, Chad Harris. I too am a sworn geek, but I didn't want to spout off that I am a Computer Science Major, Microsoft Engineer and a Cisco Systems Professional. Anyway, the 260 GB laptop in question will be loaded with about $5000. worth of movie editing software, yes I am a Movie Maker, I no longer work for corporate America. You see I need the %100 fix a DVD will provide, anything less won't give the %100 I need when out in the field working.
I know I can go the System File Checker route, which is a bit like the spare tire in your car or a
backup battery I suppose. In Vista of course, they have changed it somewhat
and come up with a new name--Redmond stands for name it something different
twice a year and now it's part of WRP or Windows Resource Protection. It
scans protected resources including thousands of files, libraries, critical
folders, and essential registry keys, and it replaces those that are
corrupted with intact ones. It fixes a lot of problems in Windows XP, OE,
Windows Vista, Win Mail, IE6, and on Vista or if it is installed on XP, IE7.
It protects these things from changes by any source including
administrators, by keeping a spare of most of them.

I could also use the F8 environment: 1) Safe Mode 2) Safe Mode with Cmd to Sys Restore which is simply a cmd
prompt in safe mode 3) Safe Mode with Neworking 4) LKG or Last Known Good
Configuration

I could also run out and buy a VERY expensive "Vista Ultimate DVD", or borrow someones DVD, which is NOT illegal as I DO NOT need the product key.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I'm going to venture a guess here .. I never saw legal software in the DR. So, I guess people are careful to lend out their CD's because they all are illegal ;)

Do I have it correct?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I'm going to venture a guess here .. I never saw legal software in the DR. So, I guess people are careful to lend out their CD's because they all are illegal ;)

Do I have it correct?

I think what posters are saying is that when you buy a software program like Microsoft Vista or Office, you bought one license that will be registered to you. Now if you have a business with 10 terminals and you only bought one license and loaded all of the terminals under that one license, that's considered illegal and microsoft could sue you. 10 terminals(PCs)=10 Licenses.

I used to build PCs for friends and families and charged them for the purchase of Windows XP on top of the cost of parts.

monn

Aug 8, 2007
You see because Ultimate is already running (however crippled) I do not need a Product Key, I'll be doing the "Complete PC Restore" from the Win
RE environment, i.e. from the System Recovery Options Menu from the Recovery link
of the Vista DVD. This can be done with either an illegal or legal copy, it does not matter. The bottom line is, I'm in this mess because laptops don't come with DVD's anymore, right? Right! I just need to run the DVD to scan protected resources including thousands of files, libraries, critical
folders, and essential registry keys, in order to replace those that are
corrupted with intact ones.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
monn, If you can't find a copy to borrow and you have a second PC with a dvd burner and a decent connection, you may want to download a .torrent file of the Vista Ultimate DVD.

monn

Aug 8, 2007
That's probably it Chris, but I can't understand why I can't get a little help with this, I mean, if anyone has a DVD, it just sits there, chances are people will never have to use their DVD. Oh well, I'll be going to Calif. soon and I'll just have to fork out $500. for a new one.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
That's probably it Chris, but I can't understand why I can't get a little help with this, I mean, if anyone has a DVD, it just sits there, chances are people will never have to use their DVD. Oh well, I'll be going to Calif. soon and I'll just have to fork out $500. for a new one.

There is also a very good chance that most people are using Vista Home Basic or Vista Home Premium.

monn

Aug 8, 2007
True, in my case besides Ultimate, Enterprise or Business would do just as well.

monn

Aug 8, 2007
David Z, I just noticed your reply, I don't know how I didn't see it before. Thank you very much for your input.

Last edited: