Cell Phones in DR

A

Al

Has anyone from the US rented a cell phone in DR that could be used to make calls and receive calls from the US?
Has anyone from the US had their existing cell phone programmed to make and receive calls from the US?

J

Jim Hinsch

Yes and Yes. See all the details at <A HREF="http://www.BocaChicaBeach.net">www.BocaChicaBeach.net</A> (click on staying in touch).

L

Lisa

I am trying to phone someone in the Dominican Republic ( they have rented a cell phone )

However, I can't get through - each time I call I get a busy tone - even though I know they are not using the phone.

I am using the code 809 for Dom Rep. then the cell phone number - I have tried every variation I can think of.

Can anyone help?

Thankyou

J

Jim Hinsch

Busy signals occur even when calling non-cellular phones, because international lines are often busy. This is especially true if using a calling card. Sometimes one calling card uses different lines than others and can get through. Combine that with a cellular system that is often busy, and your chances of getting a busy signal increase even more.

When I'm in Santo Domingo, I sometimes have to try 10 or more times before I can make an outgoing celluar call to another location within the Dominican Republic, because all ciruits are busy. Sometimes it is that way all day and I never get through.

Jim Hinsch
JimHinsch@CSI.COM