Advice on hiring people in the DR?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I'm about to hire 2 fulltime people in the DR:

- an "operations" manager who will run my websites and offshore teams
- a project manager who will also work with my teams to develop new projects

I need high level people in Santiago that speak english, probably I'll be paying RD$20k - RD$40k/month each. I've got years of experience with offshore people, but I've not managed permanent local employees like this before. Any tips from the experts (and hecklers gallery!) on:

- where to find them (websites, places to look, etc)
- how to interview them
- things I should be aware of before bringing them on board?

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
I would be interested. What kind of business exactly do you have?
Feel free to check my posts for a more in-depth idea of myself, and PM if interested. Thanks.

andrewc52002

Feb 6, 2007
I'm about to hire 2 fulltime people in the DR:

- an "operations" manager who will run my websites and offshore teams
- a project manager who will also work with my teams to develop new projects

I need high level people in Santiago that speak english, probably I'll be paying RD$20k - RD$40k/month each. I've got years of experience with offshore people, but I've not managed permanent local employees like this before. Any tips from the experts (and hecklers gallery!) on:

- where to find them (websites, places to look, etc)
- how to interview them
- things I should be aware of before bringing them on board?

Maybe you found one ! lol
What is the job ? pm me if interested.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Thanks chris, good feedback. I'll get that in writing before they start.

Guys, I'll put the job ads up later today. But you need to be living fulltime in Santiago.

Any other feedback from other expats running businesses here?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Adrian, do this with your lawyer, or with the department of labor. Make sure .. dot i?s cross t?s. Understand working hours - how many, how long and how frequently ;) Work this one by the book. Check references .. perhaps get a trusted Spanish person to check references.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
remember that you hire in DR - as chris said - you need to do things with the lawyer, understand that you cannot take sick days from holidays, that all dominican holidays must be off (or paid double), understand tax/benefits ideas and how liquidation works. if you can employ girl be aware of the laws regarding pregnant employees.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hire a temp HR person. Let them select and you give final approval, call me for one that will do the job...

MBA in Business and HR...

This person can also check references...

HB

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Hire a temp HR person. Let them select and you give final approval, call me for one that will do the job...

MBA in Business and HR...

This person can also check references...

HB

Are there companies that do official background checks in in the DR as well as checking references.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
HB I love your idea! Are there temp HR people, rather than agencies? In the USA, getting an agency to filter people can be very expensive.. Are there individuals that would do this (well) here in the DR?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sure, that is why I suggested this. Give me a call or a PM...I'll help you findone that fits your needs or at least can make sure you get the WHO you are looking for.

HB