buying apt. in santiago

kittyangelina

Feb 11, 2008
Hey,
I'm thinking to buy an apartment in Santiago, specifically in Villa Olga, and I'm looking for a little help.

First of all, Villa Olga is supposedly middle-to upper class and really nice. Does anyone know how far it from the Monumento and the center of Santiago?

Secondly, I think I've found a pretty good deal, but I'm a little leery of buying something overseas. Any recommendations on a good real estate attorney?

Finally, would Dominican banks honor a cashier's check from my bank here in the United States? How would I go about bringing/sending the money to complete the transaction?

If anybody can help on any of these fronts, I'd absolutely appreciate it.

Thanks,
Kitty

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) Good place but better check with other people in the area. Too good is no good, usually.
2) Don't like to recommend lawyers, beyond our own legal beagle..Dr. Guzman.
3) Easy...bank to bank wire transfer.

HB

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
You'd actually buy something sight unseen? Do you know how often people get ripped off over here?

kittyangelina

Feb 11, 2008
No, I would not buy something sight unseen. I have sent relatives to look at it and seen pictures, but before I buy anything I would of course check it out myself.

Thanks for the other advice. I just wondered if anyone local might have special insight as to how good an investment real estate in Santiago might be.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Generally speaking, real estate in the more central areas of Santiago is a nice investment. Just how nice depends on the exact area.

For example, the street I happen to live on is going very commercial and kinda quick, so values have soared...my place is now nearly 500 times the original price...but that is exceptional...

Villa Olga is a nice, quiet neighborhood, with a lot of single family dwellings and a few apartment buildings....it will probably maintain this status for the foreseeable future, with the exception of the Benito Juarez.

HB