travelers checks

rclinkerbell

Feb 10, 2008
Is it better to take travelers checks and cash in a bank or use ATM? Are ATMs available all over the country?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I would not suggest travelers checks. It may be hard for you to cash them, and the rate will be less than dollars. ATMs are all over, but cash is best to exchange.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Is it better to take travelers checks and cash in a bank or use ATM? Are ATMs available all over the country?

Travelers checks are a problem. You usually have to go stand in line at a bank to cash them. I find two ATM debit cards, two credit cards, and cash for the hotel and taxi works fine for me.

Last edited:

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Cash cash and more cash. If you use dollars you lose money, so exchange them at RUSA for peso's. Peso's work everywhere here.

Lafcadio

Jun 5, 2006
I use Travelers Checks

My ATM charges 3% for an exchange when abroad; there is also any ATM fee, mine I think is a dollar, any fees on the ATM's end - if any, and the exchange has not been as favorable as Travelers checks.

Also, what do you do if it swallows your card? Someone suggested bringing two. The maximum withdrawl is sometimes too low for my needs.

However, most places I try. either won't accept my Travelers Checks or you do wait in line or the clerk takes forever to check if your Checks are any good.

Luckily I have used Marco's Cambio in Santiago for years, get a good rate and because they know me it goes smoothly.

Cash is best. I bring half my money in cash, but since I have known people to have beien robbed every once in a while, I don't risk everything with cash.

Best wishes for your travels!