Valentines Day

mamielizabeth

Feb 9, 2008
Hi everyone....
Does the Dominican Republic celebrate Valentines day???? What holidays do you have each year??? How are birthdays traditionally celebrated????

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Hi everyone....
Does the Dominican Republic celebrate Valentines day???? What holidays do you have each year??? How are birthdays traditionally celebrated????

Yes, we had Valentines day on the 14th. Western Union was full all day.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
San Valentin

Yes, we had Valentines day on the 14th. Western Union was full all day.

hahaha you better believe it, the WU line stretched out of La Sirena on to the street.

But anyway, they celebrate it here, you see the bars, stores, restaurants were decked out in red, guys and gals wearing red apparel, pretty nice.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Hi everyone....

I've been to a few birthdays. They are similar to US birthdays. There is a party with cake, candles, and other refreshments appropriate to the age of the revellers. I'm not sure about the gifts. Fifteen is a big year for the girls. I haven't been to one of those, but from the pictures I've seen it's a pretty big shindig.
P7090130.jpg
P7150183.jpg

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
They?re both from July of 2006, in an apartment complex on Avenida Pedro Livio Cede?o in Santo Domingo. I think there are alot of english language holiday specialty items on the market there.

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
They?re both from July of 2006, in an apartment complex on Avenida Pedro Livio Cede?o in Santo Domingo. I think there are alot of english language holiday specialty items on the market there.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
They’re both from July of 2006, in an apartment complex on Avenida Pedro Livio Cede?o in Santo Domingo. I think there are alot of english language holiday specialty items on the market there.

Help me out here. Were the English Happy Birthday greetings used because the children are learning English?

When I mention the pics look like old times I don't mean the pictures look old. Looking like old times is a phrase used to describe how I remember things years ago, just in case there was some confusion.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No, because that's what's they sell in the shops here. There may be stuff available with 'Fel?z Cumplea?os' on it, but it's not that common.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
No, because that's what's they sell in the shops here. There may be stuff available with 'Fel?z Cumplea?os' on it, but it's not that common.

Thanks. Just curious but would decorations at a childs party be more of an American thing? Are gifts given to the birthday boy/girl? Is it also common for the child to recieve birthday cards?

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
Help me out here. Were the English Happy Birthday greetings used because the children are learning English?

When I mention the pics look like old times I don't mean the pictures look old. Looking like old times is a phrase used to describe how I remember things years ago, just in case there was some confusion.

I know what you mean now. They do recall some memories. As far as the greetings go, I'm pretty sure that english was selected out of convenience more than anything. The more I think about it, I think that item may have been in the package that was given to me to bring on my trip, by the sister (a friend of mine living near me in the US) of the mom in the picture.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I know what you mean now. They do recall some memories. As far as the greetings go, I'm pretty sure that english was selected out of convenience more than anything. The more I think about it, I think that item may have been in the package that was given to me to bring on my trip, by the sister (a friend of mine living near me in the US) of the mom in the picture.

It has been quite awhile since I attended one of those noisy little kids party, but the kids sure do enjoy them.

Nice pics, glad you posted!