LONG BEACH MURDERED!! PUERTO PLATA dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Long Beach was destroyed [murdered?] @ 12 - 18 months ago. I still don't know why.
* To date, nothing whatsoever has been done with the site! Nothing whatsoever! By the government; by the owners; by any new owners; by renters. Deserted. Abandoned. Why?
* I, & perhaps many others, feel that the character of POP has changed. For the worse! Much worse.
* The downtown [ie 5 - 10 blocks surrounding Parque Central] is dead! There are no Gringos sitting @ sipping beer [or coffee] enjoying the company of & conservation with other expatriates [& an occasional DR female!]
* Why has no other site, ie collection of restaurants, etc., risen to replace our beloved Long Beach?
* Is it time for the DR1 movement to take action? Now! Should some of the POP DR1 gang begin a grass roots movement to "Restore Long Beach Now!!" Why not?
* If Barak Obama can do it, can't the DR1 gang? Of course! Volunteers?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
* Why has no other site, ie collection of restaurants, etc., risen to replace our beloved Long Beach?
* The downtown [ie 5 - 10 blocks surrounding Parque Central] is dead! There are no Gringos sitting @ sipping beer [or coffee] enjoying the company of & conservation with other expatriates [& an occasional DR female!]

Maybe that's the reason? ;)

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Have you tried Barco's, Tam Tam's on the Malecon or the Irish Tavern on doce de Julio for Gringo company Gringosabroso? I am led to believe a number of ex-Pats visit those establishments. Although I am not a 'drinker', I occasionally call in at Los Almendros for a coffee or juice where I find the company very acceptable, the views of passing Dominicanas & the enveloping breezes off the sea to be most refreshing!! ~ Grahame.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
could he be talking about this brothel that used to be on the beginning of the malecon? i did not know it was also a cafe...
or are we talking different establishment here?

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
Have you tried Barco's, Tam Tam's on the Malecon or the Irish Tavern on doce de Julio for Gringo company Gringosabroso? I am led to believe a number of ex-Pats visit those establishments. Although I am not a 'drinker', I occasionally call in at Los Almendros for a coffee or juice where I find the company very acceptable, the views of passing Dominicanas & the enveloping breezes off the sea to be most refreshing!! ~ Grahame.

I have driven by the Irish taverna few times. What is the atmosphere like? It looked more like a colmado called "Irish Tavern" vs. a Irish Pub

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I have driven by the Irish taverna few times. What is the atmosphere like? It looked more like a colmado called "Irish Tavern" vs. a Irish Pub
As I tried to indicate in my post above I have not been in to The Irish Tavern since it became known as such (Not that I have anything against the Irish I hasten to add lest they send some leprechauns after me!:paranoid::surprised:bunny:!)

I am sure the OP must have visited it as he uses the X-Mail for his mail & their offices are right opposite The Irish Tavern. Help 49erman out please gringosabroso!!

dv8 - Shame on you for even SUGGESTING gringosabroso would visit such an establishment!!!! ~ Grahame.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not suggest, i am just trying to figure our which establishment on the malecon we are talking about in here. since i have been in POP i can only remember the brothel place being taken down but then i do not sit in bars so maybe i missed sth...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
i do not suggest, i am just trying to figure our which establishment on the malecon we are talking about in here. since i have been in POP i can only remember the brothel place being taken down but then i do not sit in bars so maybe i missed sth...
There was a row of 8 to 10 bars/restaurants at the most easterly beginning of the Malecon, in front of Long Beach.

J

John Evans

pardonez- moi as they say in Canada ....has anyone got any photos of the area - i must say the beach is looking a lot better these days in puerto plata

J

John Evans

Long beach is an area then not the beach -it takes me a while-and what is the island called with the little naked man on it

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Neptuno.
His Trident has been broken & repaired & broken & stolen many times over the years.

This is NORTH of The Malecon & WEST of the Long Beach beach & Long Beach Area (as was before all the shacks, hotel & bars were brought down a year or so ago). ~ Grahame.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Irish Tavern?? R.I P. ! ! !

The Irish Tavern closed permanently @ 3, 4 weeks ago. Too bad! It was a nice place. Good food. Reasonable prices.
* A nice mix of primarily foreign clientele. 2 nice Gringo owners, also. Jimmy has returned to Ireland. For medical treatment or for good? Karen, I'm told, is still lingering in POP.
* I don't know why they closed it; financial reasons, I assume. BRING BACK LONG BEACH! Another very good reason.
* I agree with Rocky's quite accurate recollections of Long Beach; essentially a collection of 8 - 10 - 12 bars & restaurants, including 1 Swiss restaurant, 1 Irish bar, & I German restaurant.
* A brothel? I don't remember ever seeing that. Plenty of very good, mostly male, companionship. A great loss for POP! Our expatriate - Hispanic culture has suffered a severe blow! I have not yet recovered. Probably a permanent loss? A very nice location. Now? Useless. Can POP recover?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am still confused about directions on the malecon, can we settle for "crystal end" and "fortaleza end"?
anyways, from fortaleza: entre amigos, tam tam, aquaceros, jepol, jamvis, las almendras and some other bars in between.
there is also sam's bar, owned and frequented by foreigners too.

Status
Not open for further replies.