Sometimes people may ask an old question to get new, up to date information.

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
Some Dr1 members wonder why people ask the same questions over and over. Well, my mother taught me at a young age that the only thing better than information is new information. The man or woman who has the best, newest, up to date information to a question will always come out ahead of others who are working on old information to that question. Truly knowledge with the right application of new information will always put you ahead of the crowd.

J

John Evans

you are correct- i hate being told to use the search button

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
That's true in some cases, but in others, people ask the same questions hoping the answers will somehow change to those which will NEVER change.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I agree.. correct. Well, sort of. What is your question? Go ask your mother?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I agree.. correct. Well, sort of. What is your question? Go ask your mother?
I don't believe that there is a question, insomuch as making a point.
Part of the OP is true, but there are other factors.
Sometimes we know there's an answer to the poster's question, somewhere in the archives, and we simply don't have the time to do the search for them, so it's our way of saying that the info is there, but they will have to do the search themselves.

A

apostropheman

I don't believe that there is a question, insomuch as making a point.
Part of the OP is true, but there are other factors.
Sometimes we know there's an answer to the poster's question, somewhere in the archives, and we simply don't have the time to do the search for them, so it's our way of saying that the info is there, but they will have to do the search themselves.
Precisely. It makes more sense to teach someone how to do something that to do it for them. "teach a man to fish..."

J

John Evans

it can come across very badly in type though "use the search function" "have you tried looking" etc

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
it can come across very badly in type though "use the search function" "have you tried looking" etc
There's no doubt.
It does sometimes sound cold and unhelpful.
But it's a darn sight better than no response at all.
At least the newbie finds out that the info is available, and if he/she doesn't know how to search the site, he/she can ask for help.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I think part of the problem is the search engines inability to do multiple word searches, which can really help to narrow down search query results. When I need to do a multiple word search I use google or yahoo as follows (just in case somebody doesn't know):

site:www.dr1.com "blah blah"

J

John Evans

errrrr oven ? hot and greasy with an electric ring
what do you mean pray....I thought i was the confusing one round here

A

apostropheman

Rocky speaks french and apparently you do not. ;)
errrrr oven ? hot and greasy with an electric ring
what do you mean pray....I thought i was the confusing one round here
if you translate either
bonjour mon petite four to English
OR
Hello my little oven to French you'll see :cheeky::bunny::bunny:

Google Translate

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The people who ask an 'old' question to get 'new' info usually have the sense to indicate which 'old' info they are working on. Then they will get taken seriously. Those who don't, look like they haven't tried to look for themselves. And 'taking the easy way out' or overly depending on others are not exactly helpful qualities to being an expat so............

I have the feeling John Evans meant these things ;)
Petit four - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

either that or 'mon petit choux fleur' as a term of endearment..........:laugh: