Postal Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

vhauger

Nov 24, 2005
Accidently posted these questions on Northeast site. Thought I would repost on this site. What is the postal service like in Cabarete? What does it cost to mail a letter to the USA? Is there a post office in cabarete?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Accidently posted these questions on Northeast site. Thought I would repost on this site. What is the postal service like in Cabarete? What does it cost to mail a letter to the USA? Is there a post office in cabarete?
The postal system here is so laughable, that it barely classifies as an actual postal system.
Items/letters are lost with frequency and it is not at all unusual to hear about mail taking months to get to its destination.

Aug 21, 2007
I find the postal system charming. It does work, with a little help. In early February, I ordered 3 paperback books from Amazon.com as a test of the system. Call me foolish, but the books cost around $50 USD and I paid $60 for expedited shipping.

Amazon.com said that one of the books would arrive around Feb.11 and the other two, Feb, 15. I stopped in the Sosua post office on Feb. 16. The woman working there said that the packages would be delivered to the guard gate of Perla Marina. But- she then put in front of me a large pile of letters (even though I insisted that my package would not be in letter form.....) The letters dated back to before Christmas! Many were Christmas cards, a few looked like bills.

Here I am going through everyone's mail! This would NEVER happen where I come from!

Anyway, she told me to come back next week and check again.

Two weeks after my given delivery date, I returned. Same scenario....she gave me the pile of mail and said that the package would come to my guard gate. But, then she went in the back and miraculously returned with the second book shipped!

Some archaic paperwork took place where I had to sign my life away that I really did receive the book. Then, I explained that there must be another package, as what she gave me was to arrive after the other one.

No, it is not here, she said. I was to return next week.

Yesterday was the third week after my delivery date. I went back to the PO, had the same conversations, looked through the same stack of Christmas cards and bills. Felt sorry for the individuals who never knew that their loved ones wished them Merry Christmas. Hoped that the people who never received their bill have not been taken to court by now.....Had another thought that maybe some of these envelopes contained checks....money never received!!!!

And, no, my second (actually, first) package had still not arrived. Then, the lady did something different. She asked for my phone number. I explained that my Spanish is good enough to speak to her in person, but if she calls me, I won't understand what she is saying. She replied that she would say hello, then say "Sosua Post Office." I would understand. And then, I should come there.

Well, Glory to God, it worked. She called late in the afternoon. My books are at the post office, and today I will pick them up.

To answer the OP's question, that is how the Post Office works.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
When I lived in Guananico, I received mail almost on a weekly basis, simply addresed to my name, Guananico, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. Whenever anyone sent me something, they notified me and I would check with the "post office", a small structure with a desk behind a metal gate. In 6 years, only one peice went missing. I got large envelopes with magazines, cards and letters, small craft supplies, photos, and even cash. Yes, cash! Never went missing. Most of the time, delivery was 2 weeks from the date sent, but on occassion, 1 week. Once, though, a Christmas package arrived after Easter. It seemd that general mail worked better than "special handling or overnight" That took forever and required signatures of every government agency to insure it arrived.

I would say, the Dominican Postal system works in most places. I think it all depends on the people running the post office.

Here at Las Canas, we get a monthly delivery from the Sosua Post Office. It can contain mail from just about anywhere in La Mulata. We do our best to distribute it to whomever it is addressed. I think I was much luckier in Guananico.

UCLA_Bruin

Aug 15, 2008
I have just returned from a two week vacation in Punta Cana, Rep?blica Dominicana during which I stayed at the Grand Oasis-Punta Cana resort. During my stay, I met a very nice gentlemen that works as a waiter in one of the restaurants. To make a long story short, I mailed him a "thank you card" for a birthday gift he gave me (during my stay), but after reading these posts upon this country's postal service, I am wondering if he will even receive it. Does anyone have any information they can give me upon the postal service within the Punta Cana area? Since I do not have this gentlemen's residential address, I addressed the envelope to the resort and labeled it ATTN: with his name and restaurant of employment. I hope that he gets it.

mamielizabeth

Feb 9, 2008
Hello, I think mailing to the resort was the best option for ensuring the letter arrives,,, When it arrives may be another story.

North coast newbie

Jul 30, 2006
Cabarete has no postal service. Generaly it takes about two weeks for a letter to arrive at the Sosua post office from the States. Fedex or UPS work well. They will come right to you in Cabarete. Add one day, overnight takes two days.

stetmor

Oct 23, 2008
where is the post office en santo domingo s does anyone have a phone number for it ?
o

Status
Not open for further replies.